Chapter 1

My keys jingled as I unlocked my door to my apartment after a long day of work. I walked in and sat my bag down on the kitchen counter. I kicked my shoes off and stumbled over to the small couch and plopped down face first into the soft cushions. I heard my phone buzz in my bag across the room.

"Ugh!" I said loudly.

I decided to ignore it. It buzzed again. I turned my head so I could see out the window at the New York lights. I watched as snow slowly fell from the sky.

My phone buzzed again. I ignored it again, not wanting to get up. I turned my head away from looking out the window and stared at the floor. My phone buzzed a couple of more times. It was probably just emails from work telling me what I needed to do tomorrow.

After about 30 minutes of just laying on the couch I decided to get up and check my phone. I had about 8 text messages and 2 missed calls from my boyfriend Ethan.

5:33 Ethan: Hey, what's up?

6:06 Ethan: Babe, why aren't you answering me? I thought you were off work at 5:30.

6:10 Ethan: Seriously, what's up? You always text me when you get home.

6:13 Ethan: I know you are seeing these, why aren't you answering?

6:15 Ethan: Seriously babe, I am starting to get worried. Are you okay?

6:18 Ethan: I am going to come over if you don't respond.

6:22 Ethan: Seriously...

6:23 Ethan: SADIE!!!

6:24 Ethan: OK, I am coming over.

I quickly opened my phone and went to the texting app so I could tell him to not come over, I really wasn't in the mood to talk to anybody right now. Right as I started to text back there was banging on my door and then it flung open. I had given him a key to my apartment just like he had given me one to his.

He came running over and engulfed me in his arms.

"Sadie, I was worried sick." He said as he hugged me tighter. My face was pressed against his chest as he held the back of my head in his hand and I could smell his cologne that I knew all too well.

"Sorry, I just had a rough day at work." I replied.

"That doesn't explain why you didn't text me back." He said, pulling out of the hug and holding my shoulders.

I didn't respond, I just looked at him.

"Why aren't you talking to me?" He asked with his voice full of concern.

I continued to stare at him, not saying anything.

"What is wrong?" His voice changed from sounding concerned to sounding angry.

"I just really don't want to talk right now, okay!" I half shouted.

He dropped his hands from my shoulders and I saw his body tense up. I knew he was mad now.

"I was worried about you! You weren't answering my texts or calls and I ran over here thinking you were hurt or something and you are just standing here and ignoring me and not telling me what is going on!" He yelled.

I turned around not wanted to fight with him and walked towards my bedroom.

"What is your deal?!" He shouted from the kitchen.

I was about to shut the door to my bedroom when his hand stopped it and he walked in.

"Please, I just really don't feel like talking right now." I said. My eyes starting to water.

"Well I just want to know what has gotten into you." He said, not yelling this time but I could tell he was still angry.

I was tired, stressed, and sad, and Ethan was not helping.

"Just please leave." I said as I started to cry.

"Fine." He said backing out of my room.

"Fine!" He yelled one more time before he slammed my apartment door.

I laid in my bed and stared up at the ceiling and cried.

I was depressed, stressed, and sad.

My phone buzzed about an hour later. I looked at the text.

8:01 Ethan: Sorry...

I placed my phone back on my bed, not replying, and I slowly fell asleep.