An Of Rust and Gold Holiday Special

Start from the beginning

But it was Saintus now, which meant months had passed since he left. Since he...

"I have to find Cap'n Brig. I have a letter for 'im."

"You won't find 'im now. He's with the rest of the crew."

"Well I have to."

"We can't leave the ship." By then, Rudi stood and clasped his hand over Leo's on the railing of the crow's nest. It took everything in him not to snatch his hands back with a sharp gasp. Even with the gloves it was too much. He could feel the pressure, the heat of Rudi's hands on his. He sucked in a shuddering breath. It brought him back to feeling blood swirl between his fingers, the sharp and slow pain that sunk into his hand, the weight of the body as he dragged it out of his way before leaving.

"We're on watch." Rudi pronounced each word slowly as if Leo was a child who needed to be lectured. He looked down at him from underneath his thick, bushy eyebrows.

Leo narrowed his eyes. He was not to be coddled. He spit in Rudi's direction. He shot back in disgust, throwing his hands up to protect his precious face. For someone in the navy, Rudi did more preening than anyone had a right too.

Leo started his climb down. He paid no attention when the mast creaked and he realized Rudi was following him. He had to focus on not falling before he dealt with him. The night sky surrounded him. Leo watched the snowflakes float past him. Last Saintus he had been curled up on the floor of the common room before the fire.

"Talvanas," he remembered his ma saying from where she sat at a table, her hand cradling cards as the other women laughed and chatted around her. "Come, I need you for good luck. Aaisha will not keep her pearls for long."

Aaisha had laughed at her, shaking her head as her curls bounced on top of her head. "Sonora, your boy is getting too old to be your luck charm"

"and so handsome too," one of the other's had interjected.

Aaisha flicked a coin in his direction. "Go on now." She nodded her head towards the door. "Go find something warm to drink, this is the only time of year the taverns are serving the good stuff, maybe find yerself a pretty girl too."

His ma had grasped onto his sleeve on his way out the door. "My boy would never leave his mother on a night like this."

But he had.

The snow was scattered around the deck. Most of it had turned to slush by then. It sunk into his worn pumps, Leo hissed as he felt his socks grow damp. It had not been a profitable few months. Leo didn't have any bountiful wages to speak of, and he couldn't afford to buy himself new socks and boots so often.

He only made it so far before Rudi stepped in line beside him. "Where are you going."

"The letter's under my pillow."

"Leo–"

"–I'll just leave it on the captain's desk."

Rudi pursed his lips. "If you had a letter you should have given it to Greggor weeks ago."

"I know." But he hadn't written it then. That had only given him the idea. And he was a damn awful writer to begin with. Leo could hardly read. He'd sat in the dark straining and trying to write for hours before he'd even be able to get out the first word. It was all he could do. And he was worried the moment it got to Emvoreen guards would come swooping down on him. But his ma had to know. She had to know he was alive. She had to know he was okay. And he would send her a bit of money too. Just enough for her to get herself something nice. He'd never given her a gift before. He always dreamed about it. About buying something in one of the shops in town, wrapping it up real nice, and placing it under her pillow before she woke up in the morning. It wasn't much, but he could give her something now.