Christian Dior

I grew up in France Normandy near the sea in a town called Granville. My family's house was a moderate size, quite comfortable and we were actually well off because, of my fathers fertiliser business. I will always remember that I used to watch my mother when I was younger, in the garden planting these beautiful flowers, roses in different colours really wonderful I thought.

My family wanted me to become a diplomat, but I knew what I liked and that was not it. I adore drawing and sketching. Not only did I enjoy it, however I was good at it, and therefore I was able to sell my artwork to people. I finally got to open a gallery where I presented all my work, which was awesome. Sadly however I had to close the gallery, because of the Great Depression and money funding my museum ran out.

That's most I remember from when I was little. How I actually got into the fashion industry, I remember clearly.

I wanted experience so how was I going to do that? Well I thought since my sketches are really good, why don't I propose and show them to different fashion houses. Robert Piguet accepted me and I worked alongside Balmain, that was such a great opportunity. This was what got me into couture. At Robert's company I made a day dress called cafe anglais. I then worked with Lucien Lelong where I became head designer with Balmain.

With all this experience it helped me to set up my own house, Marcel Boussac an entrepreneur invested in me to help me set up. I found a suitable studio, had to bend the rules a bit because of the space.

My first collection was called the corolle collection, meaning circlet of flower petals, also known as the new look and was an absolute success. I had designed flower women. I wanted to make beautiful long gowns inspired by flowers. That had to be the highlight of my career and what kickstarted it. Hollywood movie stars and those in position all wore my clothes even though it had some opposition overall it was, victorious.