Talonflame's proud squawk pulled me out of my thoughts. It made figure eights around the arena, traveling from Eevee to Braixen, allowing them to leap out of its path.

Suddenly the door to the gym opened. All our heads perked up. Talonflame returned to Ash. A teenage girl stood in the door way. Her hands were on her hips and a smirk played on her lips. She had her thick, brown curls in a high ponytail that was tied with a pink bow. She wore a pink tank top with a low cut, V neck line and short denim shorts.

She literally just walked in the room and I had already judged her hard core. I couldn't help myself. It was a habit I had acquired. Ever since my mum started teaching me how to read people, it became a part of my daily routine. Usually I would use it on my parents or my brothers in a tense situation to see if I could decipher what they were thinking. But now I was around new people, I used it more often. I became more and more reliant on it.

Over confident, arrogant and probably egotistical. That was the first thing that ran through my head.

"I'm here for a gym battle. Which one of you is the gym leader?" She said in a nasally voice. I resisted the urge to block my ears. You know those people with a naturally annoying voice? She was one of those people. I already hated this girl.

"He's actually not here. But I'll go get him for you. I'll be back in a minute." Serena told the girl before lightly jogging out of the gym. A silence settled over the rest of us as the front door clicked shut again.

"OMG! You're Ash Ketchum!" She screeched and I grimaced. "I saw you on TV when you were in the Kalos league. I'm a huge fan!" The brunette ran up to Ash and put her hands on his shoulders. She swung her herself close to the jet haired boy, arching her back. I had to swallow the vomit crawling up my throat. "You're so much hotter in person..." She muttered as she licked her lips.

"Hotter? What are you talking about?" Ash asked confused. I wanted to face-palm myself, even I knew what she meant by that. He really was dense.

"You silly!" The girl giggled.

Ash was taken aback. He stared at the teen as she continued to drink him in. Her eyes slowly tracked every inch of his body. I stood a few feet away and awkwardly crossed my arms. Suddenly I remembered something. Serena's crush.

I had never felt so protective over someone in my life. Not my brothers or my parents. But as this girl threw herself at Ash, all I could see was Serena with tears in her eyes and a hurtful expression on her face. And it annoyed me. Anger bubbled in my veins. Serena was the best friend I ever had. My first friend. She took me shopping, she introduced me to the real world. I had to protect her. I couldn't let Serena walk in and see what was happening. It would break her heart.

So I decided to interfere.

Grabbing the annoying girl's right shoulder, I pulled her away from Ash.

"Stay three feet away at all times please." I said as I stepped in between the pair and faced her.

"Excuse me. I was having a conversation." She narrowed her eyes at me. Her face was filled with hatred, but I could care less.

"It's not a conversation if only one person is talking." I scoffed.

"Elaina, what are you doing?" Ash asked as he tapped my shoulder.

"Ash, go away." I said slowly, my eyes not leaving the girl. She stared right back at me and the space between us filled with tension.

"But I-"

"Listen to me Ash. Please let me deal with this." Ash sighed in defeat.

"Okay. I'm going to the bathroom." He muttered then stalked out of the gym. We waited until he left to begin bickering again. She laughed at me.