o.n.e

Bleep

   Bleep.

   Bleep.

   Bleep.

   Jorja awoke to the sound of the machines bleeping steadily. Her eyes felt heavy and her body ached all over. Only the brunette wished she could feel something in the calf of her left leg.
   "Hello?" Jorja called out in a whimper. She began to pull herself up from the bed before throwing the covers off her small frame. "Hello? Can someone help me?" Jorja called out again.
   Stretching her right leg off the mattress her left leg dragged behind. It wasn't until the brunette stepped onto her left leg she collapsed onto the floor -hitting the ground with a thud.
   "Jorja!" A voice called out from outside of her room. The brunette looked up to be greeted with the familiar face. Elise crouched down, placing Jorja's arm around her neck pulling her up and sitting her onto the bed. "Let me get a nurse," the taller brunette breathed out.
   The brunette grabbed onto Elise's shirt pulling her back. "Wait, you've been crying." Jorja's eyes were now laced with worry.
   "Let me get you that nurse." Elise whispered with a lump in her throat that was noticeable through her voice.
   Jorja sat with her feet dangling over the edge of the bed. Her fingers were laced together with her thumbs rapidly moving against each other.

   "Miss Hands?"

   The nurse broke the silence startling Jorja slightly. She nodded her head as Elise slowly walked in behind, fiddling with the small silver necklace around her neck. Moving swiftly, the girl perched herself upon the bed then took Jorja's hand in between hers. "I'm sorry," The nurse spoke. "The accident left you temporarily paralysed in the left leg."
Jorja dropped her head so she was now looking down at the useless leg. "Where's Arron?" She muttered as tears flooded her eyes.
"He's gone," Elise spoke gently, hoping Jorja would remember. But she refused to.
Her voice became harsh. "No, he's not." The brunette tried to stand up but was pulled down by the nurse. Jorja snapped her head to the left towards Elise - who could barely speak. "No!" She screamed over and over into her best friends chest. " No no no!"
The two girls' eyes now overflowed with tears, Jorja's more so due to the frustration and emotional pain. Elise's more to do with watching her best friend be put through this situation. "I'm so sorry Jorja, they did everything they could." Elise choked trying to hold back her tears and be strong for her Jorja.
"Just leave. I need to be alone." She shivered, refusing to look the taller girl in the eye who hesitated, then took another step closer trying to console the broken girl. "Go!" She squeaked out.
It hurt. It hurt to see your best friend in such a state. It was painful to know you couldn't change it. It was hard to not be able to truly understand how it felt to have someone be snatched away from you in front of your eyes like that. To not be able to physically walk away from your problems.
Elise let out a loud sigh as she leant against the wall down the corridor from the room Jorja was currently in. She wiped away the tears Smudging her mascara even further. "I'm sorry I wasn't there." She breathed out to herself.
From day one Elise made a vow to herself to protect those closest to her. She didn't want them to be put through the pain of being alone like she did. The brunette would always try to avoid a bad situation and handle them well with others, but helping Jorja now would be more difficult than ever.
"I got here as soon as I could," Tobi called out as he jogged over to Elise. "How is she? Why aren't you with her now?" He breathed out as he reached his fiancé, gently resting his hands on her arms.
   Elise pressed her lips into a fine line as her eyes became glazed with water, shaking her head slowly. "She's in a lot of pain, emotionally. I can't help her Tobi, she doesn't want anyone but him." The tall girl whimpered as she was pulled closer onto Tobi's shoulder.
   He hushed her, placing a kiss on her cheek, cupping the back of her head. "She's just hurting. How is Arron?" He smiled to Elise - who's tears had calmed again.
   "Arron didn't make it." She whispered, her dark brown eyes travelling into his own which were now drained.
   Tobi saw Arron as family. He was the reason Elise and him were together. Arron pushed for it. He was there when Tobi needed him the most and the same went for Arron in his darkest of times.
   "Oh." Was the only sound that escaped his lips. The boys breath became deepened, taking more sharp breaths he pulled Elise back in for a tighter hug. Concealing his tears in her hair, he sobbed softly.