Chapter Three

(Mark's messages are bold. Jack's messages are normal. Automated messages are in italics.)

We sit in the kitchen, laughing and chatting over chicken tetrazzini until the late hours of the night. When Schuy, Euri, and Rachel finally bid goodbye, it's 11:30 and Phyl elects to stay over. The girls drive away, and Phyl and I chase them down to the end of the street before running back inside.

"It's fucking freezing man!" Phyl exclaims as we climb the stairs to my room. "Like, I think I've shrunk a few inches." We laugh before coming face to face with my dad. Phyl's face drops and he blushes deeply.

"Not that you would have enough inches to shrink," my dad says jokingly, clapping him on the back and moving past us to go downstairs. Phyl's face gets even redder and he playfully punches me for laughing at him. My dad hears and yells from the living room, "Go to bed boys!" We get settled in my room and both get on our phones, me in my bed and Phyl on the floor.

"My feed is blowing up, dude," Phyl says quietly, showing me the rapidly growing amount of notifications on his Twitter. "But I bet yours is worse, Mr. Cute-Drummer-Boy." I throw a pillow at him before checking mine.

"I've got like five thousand more followers!" I whisper, freezing when I see my mentions. "Holy hell, he tweeted me! Mark actually tweeted me! And followed me!" I get up and start jumping on my bed as Phyl laughs and takes a video of me jumping and singing, "I got followed by Markiplier! I got followed by Markiplier!" I fall down onto my bed, giggling like a little girl, blissfully unaware of the video Phyl was now tweeting. I click onto Mark's profile and squeal at the little 'follows you' icon that is now next to his name.

"Are you gonna read the fucking tweet, dude?" Phyl asks me, rolling himself into a blanket burrito and flipping his hair out of his face.

"Oh shit, yeah," I say as I scroll down until I see my username. "Ah god..."

@.markiplier

"@.jacksepticeye took a bit but I found you cutie ;) your gauges are adorable"

My face burns red and my hand instantly goes up to fiddle with my lobes, a small smile gracing my face as Phyl pops his head out of his cocoon. "He called me cutie and said my gauges are adorable," I murmur, hiding under my blanket as he coos at me.

"Awe, little Jackie's crush thinks he's cute," he teases, but stops as he sees my face falling. "What is it?"

"He's straight..." Phyl looks at me confused. "In his vlog a couple of days ago he strictly said he is only interested in girls. Why is he flirting with me?" He thinks for a second before smirking.

"I bet you he's at least bi," he says, "and if he is, you dye your hair green."

"Why does him being bi mean I should dye my hair green?" I ask, laughing quietly.

"You're Irish. Green hair goes with being Irish," he explains, acting as though the answer was obvious. "Plus if you dye your hair, my parents will let me dye my hair, and we'll be bad ass together." I shake my head at him before settling down and opening my DMs.

"Fine," I sigh. "If Mark's at least bi, I'll get green hair. I'm going to DM him to see if he keeps flirting with me."

"You do you man, I'm sleeping." Phyl rolls over and sinks further into his burrito, and instantly starts snoring. I roll my eyes and open a conversation with Mark.

11:58 Hey there
11:58 Hello drummer boy
11:59 Awe, I'm not cute drummer boy anymore?

Mark doesn't answer right away and it worries me. Did I go too far? It's midnight here in Oklahoma so it's only 10:00 in L.A. As my heart starts beating a bit faster out of fear, he messages back.

12:03 Sorry. Let me try again
12:04 Hello totally cute and sexy drummer boy
12:04 Cute and sexy? I feel so special
12:04 I don't know you very well but so far you do seem pretty special
12:05 Do you flirt with all the cute drummer boys you find?
12:05 Seen

Twenty minutes go by without a response. Then thirty.

12:35 Mark?

My stomach drops and I feel tears building up as I wait. Another thirty minutes. Nothing. I lock my phone and put it on my night stand before rolling over and quietly crying myself to sleep. I definitely went too far.