Flushing in embarrassment, I shyly faced Mr. Taver and waited for him to speak.

“So,” he asked, “Do you have an answer for us Miss. Thomas?”

“Umm, can you repeat the question?” I mumbled shyly, my skin flushing a deeper shade of red as I heard a couple more chuckles escape my classmates.

His unimpressed facial expression hinted at amusement, however, he replied with a subtle eye roll. “I asked if you knew the difference between DNA and RNA.”

“Well, umm…” I stammered, before recalling the answer, “Deoxyribonucleic acid are double stranded molecules that contain genetic information used for the development and functioning of all livings organisms, while ribonucleic acid molecules are single stranded and are involved in protein synthesis. Also, DNA replicates on its own, while RNA is synthesized from DNA molecules when it is needed.”

Mr. Taver smiled at me and nodded. “That’s correct.” he said. “But even if you do understand the material, I’d appreciate it, if in the future, you didn’t zone out in the middle of my class.” he continued with his eyebrow raised. “Do you understand?”

“Yes sir.” I replied, sinking down slightly in the chair of my desk, as if the lower I got, the more invisible I would become.

He nodded in acceptance before he carried on teaching the class, I on the other hand, slouched lower in my seat as I sat through the rest of class slightly mortified from embarrassment.

It felt like hours, but when the bell to signal lunch finally rang minutes later, I quickly packed my books into my bag and scurried out the classroom without a look back.

I probably looked like a crazy person, moving quickly through the halls as I zigzagged my way through throngs of people heading towards the cafeteria as I headed towards my locker.

Spinning the dial of my locker quickly, I shoved my bag inside and sighed, as if letting go of my bag would somehow make my embarrassment evaporate into thin air.

Resting my head against the locker next to mine, I tried to block the hustle and bustle of the hallway out, however, I was brought out of my calm state of mind as I heard Saige calling my name down the hallway.

“There’s the daydreamer,” she commented with teasing intent as she reached me and leaned against the row of lockers. “So, were you dreaming about having some extra sleep, or was it a little steamier, about a guy perhaps?”

I shook my head in amusement at her questioning, resisting the urge to snort or roll my eyes. “You know me,” I replied sarcastically, reaching into my locker to grab my bag once more. Switching out my calculus and biology books for my history books and lunch, I looked to Saige with a silly face as I continued. “Always dreaming about the hottest guy in the classroom.”

“I so knew it.” she remarked, before we both laughed as I shut the door to my locker.