All I want for Christmas(Christmas Collection(FFIV)

All I want for Christmas- song by Mariah Carey
*some potential spoilers to my other story as , and a what-if situation*
Warning: tears were shed in the writing of this one shot...
❄️🎄❤️❄️🎄❤️❄️🎄❤️❄️🎄❤️❄️🎄❤️❄️🎄❤️❄️🎄❤️❄️🎄❤️

"Your Majesty?" A maid asked. "Where would you like this bow?" The fair haired king of Damcyan glanced at the large yellow ribbon in her hands, and held back a tear.

"Please, he whispered, "I'll just take that." Taken aback by the typically cheerful king's current mood, she quickly held the bow out to him and scampered off. King Edward held the ribbon as if it were a tender baby bird in his hands.

All around him, the palace had been decorated for Christmas. Lights had been strung along the railing, and tinsel above the glowing, warm fireplaces. Garlands draped from the high ceilings of the chambers. As tradition, local palm trees had been cut and placed in pots to be placed throughout the palace and decorated with lights and glittering baubles. His dear friends, Cecil and Rosa, the king and queen of Baron, had sent him an enormous pine tree from their kingdom for the occasion, as a gift. Now, it stood proudly in King Edward's throne room. Holly hung over every doorway, and even mistletoe too, for lovebirds to kiss under if they so chose.

But there would be no kisses for the young Damcyan king this Christmas, nor ever again.

Edward didn't understand how the maid had gotten ahold of this yellow bow he held; it was not a decoration. The young royal didn't hate Christmas, no, he loved the holidays. But... He shouldn't have been alone this Christmas.

He couldn't stand looking at the ribbon anymore, and he closed his vivid green eyes to escape to another time and another place; a more joyful time that took place not so long ago....

........

"Edward!" A melodic cry of joy came from beside me as my fingers tickled her ribcage while we sat on a small chaise together. Roses bloomed in her slightly-tanned face, and her ocean blue eyes glittered constantly. She pretended to fight me, but her body said she was happy. "Edward, stop!" She giggled. My own face formed a smile.

"My darling, tell me you don't like it then," I spoke softly. Anna's mouth opened to protest, then huffed in irritation.

"You're impossible!" She laughed, then dove in for the kill; she knew my weakness.

Her slender fingers brushed my skin just under my earlobe, and I squirmed immediately. "Anna!" I laughed.

"How do you like it now? That's payback." Both of us grinned, and I took her into my arms. She put her head down on my chest, smiling as brightly as ever.

Suddenly I felt like breaking this serene quiet and spoke. "Anna, what would you like for Christmas? It's only a few months away, now." The brunette grinned bigger than ever before.

"My love, I'm a simple girl. I don't care about presents under the Christmas tree. Someone could fill my stocking by the fireplace, and I wouldn't hold preference as to what I received." My hold on her tightened, she was so sweet. "Now," she said turning to me, "what do you want for Christmas?" I thought hard on this. There was one thing, but it now seemed incredibly selfish after Anna had just told me she wanted nothing.... "Love," she said softly, "please tell me. Believe me, nothing you could ask for would be too much."

"Snow," I said quickly. At this her face lit up. "Since Damcyan is a desert, I've never seen snow. I've always wanted to see snow, especially on Christmas...." Anna smiled at me, then leaned over and pecked me softly on the lips.