Resisting Fire

Tilting my head to look out at the morning darkness as its rain attacked the window, the trees pry at the window seals, and birds cry to the thunder boom as it crackles. The lightening shoots across the sky presenting a light show, life from the clouds sounds exciting, as if you could actually survive up there.

            My room was warmed by the heat left by my straightener a warm room and straight hair came with a price, the smell of burnt hair and hot moisture. The moisture on the cold window made sweat form on the window. The smell was now being replaced with a nose scrunching stench of black smoke. The black cloud began to rise through the air vent in my floor.

                                                              *            *           *

           When I was five my older used to tell me that when he grew up he was going to be an athletic star, more specifically a track star. He was a fast runner, fastest on the team. Me not so much, over the years, I've declared myself clumsy. The only real sport I am willing to play without inflicting pain on myself is swimming laps, if it's considered a sport. The only sport my brother can play now is basketball, for the handicapped. He's a paraplegic now; his spinal cord snapped in two making him unable to walk, he will never be able to walk. We were lucky he even survived, stupid thing for him to do, going sky diving with his friends without mother and father's consent.

                                                          *             *             *

          Running down the carpeted stairs, and walking briskly from the living room, where the T.V was left on, and to the kitchen. Smoke filled the ceiling as it bursted out of the toaster, setting off the smoke detector. Feeling a little pissed off as I walked to it and beat my fist against it till it silenced. Turning to face my older brother, Riley, who look at me with complete and utter embarrassment spread across his face.

         "What did you do to the toaster!?" I said looking between him and the toaster as my look matched his.

         "Shut up Scarlett, the toast got stuck and I couldn't get it out, then you came in and sumo smacked the f*cking smoke detector to death,"

         "And to think I'm supposed to be the younger sibling," I crossed my arms.

        "Scar, just get the toast out of the toaster before we leave our parents nothing to come home to,"

       "Ok, whatever," I grumbled to myself as I wheeled Riley out of the way, unplugged the toaster and waited for it to cool off, "We need to get a new toaster before mom and dad get back,"

       "Use your own money; I'm saving up for that new jersey coming out,"

      "No, we are going to use our money to get them a new toaster,"

     "Scar," He whined.

     "No," I told him sternly as I grabbed the cooled off toast, put it on a plate and set it down in front of him.

     Closing the door behind me, my eyes made their way to the clock that sits on my nightstand across the room. I only had twenty minutes before the rusty bus came down to take us away the living h*lls of school. Devils lurk the hallways, bloodsuckers are always two steps behind you, and ogres seem to know all about your crushes on the Senior soccer team.

      I made my way over to the dresser, grabbing the pair of skinny jeans and the Rockets Sweatshirt and sprinted to the light blue bathroom next door.

                                                                      *               *              *

      My father used to tell my mother he loved her everyday, now he's always to busy to spend even a minute of time with her, for any of us really. He used to bring her a bouquet of white roses every Friday, now she's even lucky to if she get one on Valentine's Day. Thats why they went on this "Business Trip", to try and restore their love for each other, it took months for my mom to convince him to even think about taking off work for moms love. As if he would dare take off work for anyone. When Riley was in the hospital dad would work at his bedside, paying no attention to if that break in his spinal cord was any higher up he would've been annouced dead on the scene.

                                                                      *                *                *

    Walking back into my room to pick up my boobad and socks off my bed, there was a note sitting on my comforter. I read the worn out note aloud:

                                                                                         Watching

*****************************************************************************************************************

Ok, guys. This is my first chapter to "Resisting Fire" I hope you like it. I might add more to this first chapter, so if you don't see any new chapters try checking this one because I might've added more to this one. Love you guys <3