18. Drop dead and just start smelling

Start from the beginning

"So, if Jimmy and I both come, do we get like a discount or something?"

She giggled. "No, but you can take the tests together. An individual one and a common one. Saves time and can get an uninitiated member in."

That sounded groovy because Tom doubted Jimmy would have the time and patience to get into this whole fraternity protocol. As he thought things over, his eyes drifted into the distance and fell on Angie who was coming down the stairs towards them. His heart sank. Joining the fraternity might be the end of their relationship, especially if Angie got into college.

"Can we get other people in?" he asked absentmindedly.

Mizrelle followed his gaze and frowned. "Really? The boring school girl?"

"It's a totally hypothetical question."

"Hmpf, sure. Hypothetical. Yes, you can get your girl or guy in as long as they follow the rules." Mizrelle hopped off the wall. "But think about it a little. You're too good for her, Tommy."

"In what universe am I too good for anyone?" Especially Angie.

She smiled, but it was strained. "In mine. Catch you later, darling." And with a light wave of her hand, she walked away.

Just as well, because Angie reached him, a confused frown on her face. "Who was that?"

"Mizrelle." He slid off the wall, too, but didn't come any closer in case Angie decided to get pissed at him. "She's French. Foreign exchange." He bit his lip but decided not to tell her about the fraternity. Not until he made up his mind and talked to Jimmy.

"Huh. Interesting outfit. And hair." Angie looked curious now rather than annoyed so he wrapped an arm around her and gave her a half hug.

"What's up?"

Her green eyes focused on him and he felt much bigger and more important than he was. "Just wanted to let you know that I'll have to bolt early tomorrow. I'm going home for Christmas and I have a bus to catch."

Oh, right, Christmas. It wasn't a big deal to him since he was a starving orphan and shit, but families really cared for that stuff. And now,  suddenly, so did he. Because he really, really, really wanted to get her something. As small and as trivial as it was.

"That sounds cool." Fortunately, his voice came out joyful and not depressed as fuck.

She smiled, her eyes crinkling adorably. "I think I might miss you."

"Really? It's just two weeks." He was going to die without her. Drop dead and just start smelling. Or maybe he'll hibernate like a bear until she came back.

She rubbed the back of her head, seeming embarrassed. "I guess so."

"I'm still totally probably going to miss you, too."

She smiled again and he squeezed her against him, wishing he could spend Christmas with her. It would be the first time Christmas would actually mean something.

"Gotta go. See you tomorrow." And like she'd been doing ever since he gave her that pathetic dandelion, she raised on the tips of her toes and kissed him on the cheek. It still warmed him up, every time. Every damn time, like he was twelve and she was eleven and they were kids in a schoolyard.

They were in a schoolyard, but he'd lost his childhood long ago. And as he kissed her cheek in return, he wished he could figure out what they were. Because he wasn't sure how much longer hugging and kissing on the cheek was going to do it for him. She seemed happy enough, but his mind was starting to devise evil plans for a perfect first kiss.