20. Screwed your future

Start from the beginning

He didn't get to say anything to her. Not that he'd missed her, that he was so sorry she had to go through this shit, that she should've told him sooner, that he had her back no matter what... That he thought he was in love with her already. And now, if he went to jail, he wouldn't get to either. Maybe she'd come visit him sometime.

"I don't think that's possible," the principal said, wiping the sweat off his balding head with a handkerchief. "Professor Collins has a spotless reputation..."

"You should be more concerned about your students' safety than your teacher's reputation," Jimmy shot back. He turned to the policemen. "If Angie was indeed harassed, wouldn't what Tom did count as self-defense?"

"He wasn't the one being harassed," the principal said alarmed, but Jimmy only waved him away annoyed.

"Hard to say, since he didn't actually catch him in the act," one of the officers said. "But his attack could be deemed justified."

"Am I going to jail?" Tom asked. "Or getting expelled?"

Everyone fell silent and just stared at him as if they didn't know. Well, Jimmy really didn't, but the others? He wanted to know in how much trouble he was so he could start planning where to go from there.

"You're not getting expelled," Jimmy said, glaring at the principal. "Or arrested." His gaze was questioning as he turned to the police.

"Professor Collins has pressed charges, but given the circumstances..." The officer sighed. "You'll have to come with us. A judge will decide."

"And should your claims be true, you will face suspension," the principal piped in. "Should it be slander, you will be expelled."

Tom nodded and got off the chair. Fair enough. The officers flanked him and they all stepped out, Jimmy bringing up the rear.

"Are you going to talk to Angie?" Tom asked quietly.

"Of course," one of the policemen said.

"Please go easy on her. She's been through enough."

"You should be a little more worried about yourself, you moron," Jimmy mumbled from behind.

"I did what needed to be done," Tom said stubbornly.

Jimmy grabbed his arm and turned him around. The two officers took a few steps further to give them some privacy.

"Trust me, I know that it needed to be done. But you're still an idiot. A suspension looks awful on your resume, diminishes your chances of a full scholarship."

"Why do you keep insisting?" Tom yanked his arm out of his brother's grip. "It's you who shoud be going to college, not me."

"No. You should've told me about Collins and I would've taken care of it."

"Really?" Tom asked, sarcasm dripping from his voice. "How?"

"Same way you did."

"You're not my bodyguard."

"And you're not Angie's. It could've been me and you wouldn't have screwed your future!"