Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Back to the Start

Home. What did home even mean to them anymore? Home is the place where you can always go back to. Where you feel safe. Where you feel loved. A home is suppose to be a place of comfort.

The truth is, they don't have a home. They haven't had a home for a very long time. Maybe they never even had one. So they made their home in each other. As long as they were standing side by side, they were home. Because you see a home is not always a place. Sometimes, against all odds, you make a home out of someone. And let me tell you something, that home can be spectacular but if you lose it, agony doesn't even begin to explain it.

It kills you. Once you lose that person, you are truly and irreversibly alone. Broken beyond repair.

"Alone. Yes, that's the key word, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and hell is only a poor synonym." ―Stephen King

And that is why they stay together. Why they protect each other. Why they kill for each other. Why they torture, maim and destroy entire villages for each other. This is why they live for each other.

The Terror Twins. Surrounded by Death and yet so alive. Emotionless monsters with no regard to human life but deprived of a life as children by their tyrant of a father; turned into monsters against their will. The Bringers of Death on oh-so many but the only salvation for each other. They are a contradiction in themselves.

The black SUV came to a sudden stop in front of the lavish mansion. The three siblings all climbed out in order to retrieve the twins' many, many suitcases.

"What the bloody hell are in these?" Klaus growled out, lifting one of the heavier bags.

Kayla didn't even bother to look up, "Stop complaining, you oversized child. It's just a couple of shoes." she stated, causing Kol to snort loudly―not even troubling himself in covering it up.

"Just a couple. Of course." he mocked her, earning a glare from her and Elijah, who had come out.

Kol gave the latter his normal mocking grin which only made his brother sigh, already regretting his decision of going to find them and to bring them back to Mystic Falls. "Kol." He nodded his head in greeting, "Kayla."

"Hello, brother. Missed us, didn't you?" Kol asked sardonically.

"No one missed you, you bloody infants." Klaus called out from inside the house.

"Did no one ever tell you not to eavesdrop, Nik?" Kayla replied loudly, "Were you raised by wolves?" She asked sarcastically, without missing a beat, causing Kol to laugh when the hybrid in question only growled in response.

Elijah's irritation showed for a moment only for his usual mask to slide back on, "We need to have a chat. Go wait for me in the study." He ordered them, walking briskly away to another room.

They both narrowed their eyes at his demand but still decided to indulge him, mostly because they were intrigued by how he would try to convince them to be 'good'. When they got in the room, Bekah was already lounging on a couch, and Klaus was sitting in an old chair next to her, drawing something in one of his sketchbooks. The twins settled themselves in another sofa, waiting for their eldest siblings to arrive to scold them.

The two missing Mikaelsons came in at the same time, Elijah threw a stack of newspapers on the coffee table a disappointed scowl on his face. "149 people." He stated gravely, "You murdered 149 people in one night."

"Is this suppose to be an intervention?" Kol asked clearly amused, showing not one sign of remorse about those particular events.

"Have you no humanity left?" Finn spoke up, not even trying to hide his disgust at his siblings extracurricular activities.

"Yes." They both stated as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

The rest of the family didn't really know how to react to that. Klaus spoke up, looking up from his sketch, "I know I'm not one to talk about this, but you went too far. This isn't the 15th century anymore, people won't hide in their houses and pray for their god to help them if it comes out about our existence."

"And the police are slightly more equipped now a day, it would be easy for them to find a video showing you killing someone. And we can't exactly go around compelling the entire government." Rebekah finished Klaus' thought.

Kayla smirked at them, "I truly find it amusing that you think your words will have an impact on us. And before you start winning about us killing people here, you just remember..."

"You are the ones who invited us back." Kol completed her sentence, a sort of wicked gleam shining in his eyes. The twins got up and left the room without another word.

When they were finally out of earshot, Elijah spoke, "I believe this town is in for a very rude awakening."

"Indeed, brother." Klaus agreed.

"So. What do we do now, Olly?" Kayla threw herself onto the bed when they finally got to their room.

He flopped down next to her, "I don't know. And before you even think about it, I am not going back to school. We have done enough of that to last us a couple of centuries."

She smiled at him, "Well, it's your turn to pick. I chose our entertainment in Forks. I refuse to do all the work." She said, her smile widening when he threw her a playful glare.

He gave a long―slightly exaggerated―sigh, "As much as I hate to say this; we need a hobby that doesn't involve killing, maiming or torturing." His own words left a sour taste in his mouth, "Oh! Bloody hell! Now, I sound like Elijah and Finn. This is just bloody fantastic!"

Kayla couldn't keep in her laughter in at her twin's disgusted tone. "Despite your total lack of conviction, I do believe it's a semi-decent idea, we wouldn't want to kill everyone in this god awful town. Though I don't see what we could do..." she trailed off lost in her thoughts

"Well, I'm sure, we'll figure something out..." Kol assured her, a positively wicked grin spreading on his face.