"Why don't you go keep your father company? I can wrap it up here."

"It's okay, I don't mind helping."

"No, sweetie, I insist. Go and help Dad out. I'll be out in a couple minutes, anyway."

She gives me a kiss on the cheek and pushes me out back into the crowd. Even though I'm wearing heels, they're not quite high enough for me to see through the sea of people in our living room. I get on my tiptoes to find Dad, which takes me about a good two minutes to finally see him.

The front door opens all of a sudden with a harsh gust of wind that swirls around me. I lean forward to see who came in, at first thinking it's Nathan. But it's James and his parents. A small part of me grows a little worried. Did he forget about the party? Or did he decide not to come? What if he got into an accident or something instead?

Or maybe you're just being paranoid, I tell myself. It's only been twenty-five minutes.

Despite these thoughts buzzing in my head, I force a smile on my face as I greet James and his parents.

"Hi, guys."

"Alexis!" Karen booms out. "It's great to see you again, hon! My, don't you look dazzling tonight?"

She wraps her arms around me to give me a tight hug.

"Thank you. Hey, James. How's Georgia Tech?"

"Pretty good, although I'm glad it's Friday," he answers, flashing me one of his goofy smiles. "Say, where's the food at?"

"It's not ready yet, goofball. But you can make yourself comfortable in the meantime. You know, mingle," I say jokingly.

He sighs dramatically. "I suppose I can do that. You coming?"

"I'll be there in a second. I'm waiting for someone."

"All right." James disappears into the living room.

"Dylan!" My father charges into the hall, a wineglass in one hand, the other extended to James' father. "Great to see you!"

"You too, Tim."

"How long has it been since you've been here?"

"Not since the Super Bowl," Dylan laughs.

Dad whistles. "Time flies, doesn't it? In that case, let me get you and the lovely lady a drink."

Karen and Dylan follow him to the dining room and soon they're out of sight, leaving me by myself. I look over at the front door. I really don't feel like being here right now. I can sit with James and wait until Nathan does arrive. I leave the foyer, ducking around the people gathered by the living room, and squeeze in next to James in the armchair. Back when we were seven, we used to fit perfectly side by side in this chair. Now our backsides are crammed up against the armrests.

"I thought you were waiting for somebody," he says.

I shimmy my shoulder a little to make myself comfortable. "I am. I don't feel like standing around while waiting, though."

"Makes sense. Well, what have you been up to lately? Haven't heard from you in ages."

"What do you mean 'ages?' It hasn't been that long."

"It's certainly felt like it. It's been a few weeks since we've hung out. You didn't reply to the last message I sent you the other day."

"Yes, I did. I said I'd hang out during the weekend," I say.

"It never happened. I shot you a message last Saturday but you never replied," James points out.

"Oh, no. I'm sorry, man, I thought I did."