Chapter 3

Darkness. That's all that's in front of me. Complete darkness. Everywhere, like it's taken ahold of me and plunged me straight into it, deep into a dark void where I can't seem to escape. Then something else comes. I feel something in the darkness. A push. A great, big push. Air rushes up from my lungs and out of my mouth, knocking me down to the ground. It feels like a punch in the gut. Now a heavy pressure is on top of my body. Almost as if somebody's on top of me. My spine prickles from the touch where two invisible hands have been, pushing me back into consciousness. Whose are they?

I pull at my memory. Somewhere nearby, something clatters. I try to open my eyes, but can't. My eyelids won't open, it's like they're nailed shut. Something clatters again. I don't know what it is, but it sounds like metal clanking against metal. Deep inside, my body feels a shift of some sort. A change within myself.

Huh? What's changed? What's gone wrong?

My fingers grapple at something, anything to hold on to...

My mace. Where's my mace? It's never more than an arm's length away from me. I always try to keep it inside the pocket of my jeans or trench coat in case of situations like this.

Wait, trench coat? Mace? What mace? What the hell am I talking about?

I've never carried mace with me or even own one.

Other sounds begin to grow clearer. Voices. Footsteps. My fingers feel something cold, like a steel bar. My hands ball into fists. Another sound—a voice. It's loud and angry, screaming at me, right next to my ear. My eardrums feel as if they're about to rupture from the sound. I'm confused, not sure why I'm being shouted at or who's shouting at me. I can't exactly make out what that person is saying. Their voice is distorted in a surreal way. Suddenly, a hand slaps me hard across my face. Instantly, I awaken and my body bolts straight up. I try opening my eyes again but they won't budge. I begin to hyperventilate, my heart pounding.

"Alexis, Alexis, calm down," another voice says, their hand on my forehead.

This voice sounds calming. It takes me a second to register it's Dr. Jackson's. I don't listen to him. My breaths continue to grow shallow. More hands are on my body, pushing me back down to the bed.

No, I can't stay down. I have to fight against this, no matter what. It can't happen.

Why am I doing this? I think. Is this a side effect or something?

"Alexis, breathe," Dr. Jackson says. His hand is still on my forehead, keeping me down to the hospital bed. My breathing gradually evens out and my heart rate slows down. Soon enough, I give in and the muscles in my body ease a little.

"I think she had a nightmare," Nevaeh utters.

That's for damn sure.

"Ali? Can you hear me, sweetheart?" Mom asks.

I turn my head to the direction where her voice came from, even though it's still dark and can't see a thing.

"Mom?" I croak. My voice sounds strained. I wonder how long I've been out.

"It's okay, baby. Dr. Jackson and his team just completed the corneal surgery."

"How long was I asleep?"

"An hour and forty-five minutes. The surgery was completed an hour ago," Dad replies.

Really? For some reason, I thought I've been out longer.

"So forty-five minutes?"

"Yeah. Dr. Jackson told you it wouldn't last that long."

"Huh. It felt like I'd been asleep for a long time."

"It feels like that but normally these kinds of surgeries don't take long at all," Dr. Jackson explains.

That wasn't what I meant, but okay.

"Do I need to stay in the hospital overnight?"

"Oh, no, no. There's no need to stay the night, Alexis. You can actually go home. However, I will need to see you again tomorrow afternoon, just to check the corneas."

"That's fine. How long do I need to keep these on?" My fingers graze the patches over my eyes. I can only imagine how silly I must look with them.

"Overnight, until tomorrow. I would advise you to not take them off, even when you go to bed tonight. Keep them on."

"Okay."

Dr. Jackson clears his throat. "All right. Well, Alexis, you're free to leave at any time. Would you like me to walk you and your family out?"

"Um, sure, I guess."

"I'll be back in ten minutes to come get you guys."

When he leaves the room, I sit back up, feeling woozy. I put a hand up to my forehead.

"Are you okay, Ali?" Nevaeh asks.

"Yeah. Just groggy, that's all."

"What happened? You looked like you had a nightmare or something."

"I haven't the slightest clue. It felt like I was dreaming. Then again, it felt real at the same time," I reply.

"How so?"

"I don't know how to explain it. Just that...I felt hands, I heard a voice, then a slap across my face. I mean, it didn't feel like it was a dream, though."

"Huh, bizarre. Maybe it was a nightmare. It does happen," Nevaeh says.

"I guess..."

"Well, let's get you into your clothes and then we can leave."

Her arm goes around my waist, helping me hop off the operating bed. My feet immediately touch the cold floor, giving me the feeling as if I'm walking on ice. It sends a shock up my body. She has me sit on what feels like a little stool while Mom puts my flats on for me. Good thing I decided to wear them and not sneakers.

She helps me slip back into my clothes, taking the hospital gown off me. Then, my parents help me up.

"Do your eyes hurt or anything?" Dad asks.

I shake my head. "I dunno. I really can't feel anything."

Just then, Dr. Jackson comes back in.

"I'll walk you guys out," he says.

Taking both my hands, Nevaeh and Mom lead me down the hall, following Dad and Dr. Jackson. As we walk, I hear the many voices of patients through the walls. Babies crying, people talking, a woman cry painfully, the footsteps of doctors and nurses. The sounds all fade behind us. I'm glad to be leaving the hospital; I never like staying in one for too long.

We walk out of the automatic doors and we're outside now. Dad and Dr. Jackson make brief conversation about my visit again tomorrow just before we leave.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Alexis," Dr. Jackson says.

"Okay, thank you," I tell him.

"You're very welcome. Have a nice rest of your day."