Through a child’s eyes this all looked like a big game of hide and seek. One of which he was winning. A crack in the door allowed viewing access to Sam as he watched a big black wolf lunge at the figure, bringing it crashing to the ground. Candles are knocked over, immediately setting the curtains alight. 

The door was ripped open and the child gasped as he was snatched up into the arms of his mother.

“You found me,” the child said, a little peeved.

“It was a great hiding place, baby,” she murmured to him, trying to avoid the figure’s and Lorna’s brawl. The flames were going higher and higher. Lidley gripped her son tighter and ran to the back door of the house, placing Sam at a safe distance. With the power being out she couldn’t contact the pack for help. Damn her for deciding to take a break from the pack, she thought.

“Baby, wait for me here. Okay?” she kissed his forehead and ran back into the house. The flames were visible from the outside and the child stood there, mouth agape, completely oblivious to whatc was happening in the house.

The child began to panic. Should he go in and help with hide and seek? Or will he wait out here like his mother had told him to? The child stood up and ran towards the house, deciding on wanting to help. A wolf jumped out of the flames and took the child within its jaws just as a massive explosion of flames engulfed the remainder of the house. The wolf’s teeth pierced through his skin but the child was in too much shock to respond to the pain. The wolf threw the boy down and Sam rolled a few times before halting.

By the time he looked back up the wolf was gone back into the burning house.

At this point the boy was completely aware of the pain in his back where the wolf had accidently bitten him. He cried out, no one to hear his cries. Eventually he blacked out from pain and smoke inhalation.

The boy had woken up to his father’s face looking down at him.

“Sam, what happened?” he demanded, no sympathy for the child at all.

“Fire...” the child coughed, “Mommy. Lorna.” The child coughed again as his father’s face hardened. Bethany reached out and touched Riley’s shoulder of which he shrugged off.

“They’re dead,” he stated bluntly.

“And it’s the boys fault,” Bethany finished. All eyes went to Bethany and all left were her son’s and Riley’s.

“What do you mean it was his fault?” Benjamin asked, his face streaked with tears.

“Three in that house, only one survived. The boy could have signalled us, he could have done something than watch them burn. And now, because of the boy, we have lost two fine members of the pack,” Bethany responded, then looked down to the child, “What did you do?”

The child racked his memory. He couldn’t remember who had started the fire. He couldn’t remember the rogue. He blinked a few times, considering something. What if it was his fault? What if he was the one that started it? He began to think it was him that knocked over all the candles, remembering being intrigued by them and holding his hand over them.

“I knocked over the candles.”

Two of them took a step back from the child as if he beared a terrible disease. Only one of them stayed in their position. 

"He must pay for what he has done," Riley managed to spit out. Half of him felt dead knowing that his mate was no longer alive. The hate he felt for that boy earased any link between himself and his son. 

"What do you mean?" Benjamin cried, outraged. "He's just a boy! He made a mistake."

"A mistake that took the lives of our mates, Benjamin! Don't tell me you bear sympathy for that disgrace!" Riley spat back, "He killed your mate!"

Benjamin took a step back from Riley, disgusted by what he had just heard. "That boy right there that you just called a disgrace is the only thing you have left of Lidley. And you called him a disgrace."

"He will be the omega. Riley, you want him punished and with this title he will be."

"You have no power as that. I'm the alpha," Benjamin protested. Bethany shook her head. 

"Not anymore. Your joint alpha has perished. I take your place now." 

While all of this was being discussed Sam lay there as his heart thumped faster and faster.

*

 Woe. That was intense. 

Well what do you think? 

And may I just say something? DAMN YOU GUYS ARE FAST AT VOTING AND COMMENTING. 

But that's why I love you all. 

Votes for next chapter: 45.