Chapter 1

Patience.

That's all it takes.

Just because I've been in this fight since I was 7 and it seemed the rebellion against the Empire would never end, doesn't mean I still can't be patient. I wasn't the only one forced into this. Many that surrounded me everyday had parents, siblings or other family members that have survived this long. It wasn't uncommon for rebels to have children during the war.

They hoped that it would be over by the time the child was born, that they could go to a peaceful planet and be a happy family. But knowing the galaxy, peace will never be a thing for more than a few years. Knowing the history of the rise of the Empire, there wasn't ever a moment where one could say there was peace. The Sith and the Separatists terrorized at every chance they got. They desired power

My parents believed that if enough people had hope, they could bring the peace so many desired but too scared to do anything about. If they did, so do I. Part of me thinks they abandoned me with people I barely knew, expecting me to fight when I had little understanding of what was going on. They died instead of being with their child.

But the Empire had elite fighters who were highly skilled in combat while the rebels had old technology and wouldn't dare ask for anything with the risk of losing everything they've built. Although an X-Wing fighter could take down a few TIE fighters, it wouldn't be long for another to blow up the other. They had patience. I've been conflicted since my parents' death if I should blame them or not. I never decided.

I've been here for 18 years.

Once I got to know them, I knew them. I understood how they felt and thought. How they operated. How they continue once all hope is lost. A rebellion is built on hope. It's all they have when everything fails. It seemed like the only thing they'll ever had that the Empire can't destroy with a weapon.

I look down into the pool of water.

The room was the only thing that was more sophisticated than anything else in the rebel headquarters. The walls were made from a clean cream brick, although in some places started to crack. Vines started to creep along the back wall, but it wasn't from overgrowth. During certain times of the year, blue and purple flowers would bloom. The various berries on the rare bushes were a luxury for anyone who could afford it.

The fountain was made of a white marble, with mirrors along the edge. The water was so clean that I could see the bottom. Sky blue gems made it glitter but also creating the mirror effect.

I see that frightened young kid who watched her parents fly away in an X-Wing fighter for the last time.

"(Y/N)," the Senator says from behind me, "Time is up"

I pull away from the pool and the Senator shuts the door behind me. Those who want to spend time in the room must get permission from a higher official and we're limited in time or else some might stay there forever to escape all of the war. I don't do it out of fear, I do it to calm myself and clear my mind of the horrors of the outside.

The reflection I saw was rumored to somehow awaken the Force within one's soul and bring good fortunes in their life. I haven't seen anyone with the Force before and have a small understanding of what it is but I doubt that is what the pool can actually do. It might have special properties but nothing at that level.

Every month I've wished for my family. For the Force to bring them back but nothing. It's no longer real. I can't continue to put faith in something I don't even know exists. I can't let my past affect my decision making.

People at the base have mentioned the Force exists but...

It's all lies.

---
Words: 685