Meet the Parents: pt Two

Fifteen years later. Josie^^^^^

*

Josie walks into my bedroom with a distraught look on her face. My fifteen year old daughter, Josie, is immediately followed by her eleven year old little sister, Rosalina. "Mom. Can you please tell Rosalina to go away. I'm trying to get ready for dinner. She's distracting me".

I finish blow drying my hair and put the dryer away under the sink. "Rosie, please. Go get your bag ready, and leave your sister alone. Kayla will be here soon with Denver to pick you up for the night. This is a big night for Josie, please give her some peace, Honey".

Kayla and Patrick are no longer married, after a huge fight that couldn't be fixed a few years ago, they got a divorce, and Kayla got custody of their ten year old daughter, Denver. Kayla moved up here to Winnipeg, while Patrick is on his last year of playing hockey in Chicago. He's moving back to Buffalo when the season is over, meaning Denver is going to see her father even less than she already does. 

Jonathan is head coach of the Winnipeg Jets now, after retiring from playing hockey a few years ago in Chicago. He made the choice to come up here and start his coaching career in his hometown. I agreed with his decision, and we've been here almost six years.

Rosie stomps out of the room with a grunt, and Josie thanks me, before walking out of the room herself.

"What's with the twisted sisters?" Jonathan asks, walking into our bedroom. They have an odd relationship with each other, Josie and Rosalina, much different than my sisters and I did.

"Rosalina was bugging Josie again. The usual", I reply with a sigh.

"Oh boy", Jonathan shrugs. "So, is Josie nervous about bringing Hunter home to meet us?" 

"You know it", I say, putting down my curling iron and unplugging it. "She's just nervous that we won't like him, like any other teenaged girl thinks. I've met the boy once. He was very charming".

"Then she has nothing to worry about", Jonathan sighs. "Well, before he gets here for dinner, I need a shower. Practice was quite difficult today, not sure why".

"I'm going to start dinner. Please don't take too long".

I'm about to walk past Jonathan, when he grabs my wrist and pulls me onto his lap. "You could join me. The girls are in their own little world, they would have no idea".

"Oh my god. Please, we don't want another sister. I think two of us is enough", I suddenly hear from behind me. In the door, stands Josie and Rosalina, both with their eyes covered.

"I think they know". I pat Jonathan on the shoulder, peck his cheek, and push myself off of his lap. "Girls, your father needs privacy. Rosalina, finish packing, please. Josie, make sure you are completely ready for this".

They rush down the hall again as I shut the bedroom door. I go downstairs and start on the ingredients for dinner. I chop a few things, placing them in bowls, then I make the salad and place that in one giant bowl, letting it sit on the dining room table where I won't forget it.

"Greatness has arrived", I hear yelled from the foyer. I then hear the embarrassed word 'Mom' come from the second person. "Hello, Beautiful".

"Hello there Kayla". We give each other a hug before I realize Denver isn't next to her. Then, the sound of feet pattering up the stairs gives away Denver going to find Rosalina.

"So, is Josie ready to introduce you to the boy?"

"I don't think Josie will ever be ready for this. I have no idea why she is so nervous. The worst we can do is tell him embarrassing stories about her. Oh, and I have to find her photobooks, when she was a baby", I say sarcastically. Kayla and I share a laugh.

"Mom!" I hear yelled from the top of the stairs. I give Kayla a look and walk into the foyer, looking up the stairs. Dressed in a dark colored sweater and a short black skirt, Josie looks down at me. "Aunt Kayla, leave. Hunter will be here any minute".

"Josephine Ruth Toews", I huff, after giving her my mom look. "You have no right to be so bitter tonight. One more snappy toned word comes out of your mouth, and you can tell Hunter that you won't be seeing him outside of school for a long time".

"Denver, Rosie, let's go. We have pies to make tonight", Kayla calls after me, giving Josie a chance to move back into her room. Denver and Rosalina rush down the stairs, and immediately out the door. "I guess that's my queue, bye love".

After, the house is quiet again, and the doorbell rings. "I got it, I got it", my daughters excited voice calls to me from the foyer.

I feel a pair of hands grip my waist, then a kiss on top of my head. "Hi Jonathan", I smile, turning around to face him.

"Hi", he replies. "Are you ready to meet him?"

"Let's not go in there just yet", I say. "I know I was always mortified when my parents joined me to greet my boyfriends back in high school. Let her come to us. Just wait".

"Mom, Dad", Josie calls out. That's our queue to go meet him. "Come say hi to Hunter".

Jonathan motions for me to walk out first, him following close behind, our hands clasped between us. In front of us stands our daughter, with her boyfriend, Hunter. He's tall, maybe only an inch shorter than Jonathan, with dark brown, almost black hair, and green eyes. I can't help but think that my little girl is growing up, looking so mature standing next to this boy.

"Hun, these are my parents", Josie says to her beau. Did I really just say that. I sound too old. "Mom, Dad, this is my boyfriend, Hunter".

"So glad to meet you, Ma'am. You too, Sir. I love your work". Hunter shakes both of our hands. "Been a true Chicago fan my entire life".

"Glad to hear that, son", Jonathan replies proudly. "Now, now. Come into the kitchen to talk while we make dinner".

Oh boy. Jonathan has something up his sleeve. Josie and I just know it.