Ghost Stories

After I had warmed up, Jonathan and I had laid in our bed and talked for a while, drinking coffee. The team came back a couple of hours later and the guys grilled outside on the back deck while us girls had baked and cooked in the huge kitchen. We made a whole bunch of pasta salads, and baked cookies and breads. 

After it gets dark outside, the team decides to make a bonfire on the beach. They go out and collect what they need, and me and a few of the girls pack up the desserts and ingredients for s'mores to bring out to the fire. 

"Come on, come on", I hear Kayla squeal at me. I'm in my room now, changing into some warmer clothes. She runs through my door, and I'm half naked, with only a bra covering my torso. She quickly shuts the door so no one else can see me. "The guys started the fire. Put on a shirt and let's go. We have everything ready".

"Okay, geez. Hold on". I pick out a pink shirt and throw it over my head, then slide into a pair of converse and my trainer's sweatshirt. "Let's go".

Kayla and I walk back down stairs and into the backyard, down the path, and onto the beach. Kayla sees Patrick and Jonathan before I do. She pulls me around the group and to our guys.

 I'm about to sit down next to Jonathan, when he pulls me down in front of him between his legs. I fall to my butt and stretch my legs in front of me, digging my feet into the rough sand. Jonathan's arms wrap around me and his head lays on my shoulder. I relax against him and listen to our group's conversation. 

Keith starts off a story about a few months ago when he was on the ice. They were playing against the Jets, and some Jet's fan was banging on the glass so much, it cracked the glass right next to him, and the officials didn't know it. Later, Keith had found that security had taken the fans out of the stadium. It was a funny story, but you had to be there. 

After a while, and the sun has completely set behind us, Marcus Kruger, asks, "How about some ghost stories?" 

We all mumble around to each other when Andrew starts. He jumps up in the sand and bends down in a 'ready to fight something' stance. "Once there was an old woman who lived in a haunted house. Every night, when she went to bed, the ghosts would roam her house, leaving footprints of mud and dirt on her floors.-"

"Andrew. Shut the hell up", Panarin yells at Shaw. Shaw stops and looks down at Panarin. Everyone laughs. "Come on, who has a decent ghost story?"

I think for a moment. Everyone in the circle looks around at each other. "I have one", I say. Everyone goes quiet. "My parents would tell it to my sisters and I when we were little".

"Let's hear it then", Jonathan says to me. 

"It's called The Girl on The Grave".

Some years ago, a group of boys and a group of girls had gone to a party. There was a graveyard down the street, and they were talking about how scary it was.

"Don't ever stand on a grave after dark", one of the boys said. "The person inside will grab you. He'll pull you under".

"That's not true", one of the girls said. "It's just a superstition".

"I'll give you a dollar if you stand on a grave", said the boy.

"A grave doesn't scare me", said the girl. "I'll do it right now."

The boy handed her his knife. "Stick this knife in one of the graves", he said. "Then we'll know you were there". The graveyard was filled with shadows and was as quiet as death. "There is nothing to be scared of", the girl told herself, but she was scared anyway.

She picked out a grave and stood on it. Then quickly she bent over and plunged the knife into the soil and started to leave. But she couldn't get away. Something was holding her back! She tried a second time to leave, but she couldn't move. She was filled with terror. "Something has got me!" she screamed, and she fell to the ground. When she didn't come back, the others went to look for her. 

They found her body sprawled across the grave. Without realizing it, she had plunged the knife through her skirt and had pinned it to the ground. It was only the knife that had held her. She had died of fright. 

"The end", I say after finishing my story. "Not that scary, but it's the best I can think of". 

"Holy shit", Marcus says, his legs hugged to his chest. "That was awful". Everybody laughs at him. 

"Krug, she was literally just a stupid girl with idiotic reasoning. That was her fault".

Artem and Artemi tell scary stories that they're grandmothers had told them when they were little. A story about a witch, another about a pack of wolves, the last about deadly fire spreading through a forest that killed thousands of people.

The small fire that's left after a few hours is whisked away by a breeze. Someone looks at their phone and it's almost two AM. We all decide to go to bed, since Kayla and a few of the other wives had already fallen asleep.

I compile the blankets with the help of Jonathan, and Chaunette grabs the remnants of the food we had brought out. She and I bring it into the kitchen and drop it on the counter. Everyone has already gone upstairs, so Chaunette says goodnight and I walk up the stairs to my room. Jonathan is in the bathroom changing as I close the door to our room.

He comes out a moment later. "Do you want the bed? I can sleep on the floor", he says to me.

I walk to the bathroom with pajama shorts and a tank top in hand. I turn back to him. "Oh no, you don't have to do that. I'm comfortable sharing the bed if you are".

I change into my pajamas and go back into the room, where Jonathan lays on the far side of the bed, reading something on his phone. I put my day's clothes on top of my suitcase in the closet and hop into bed next to Jonathan. I turn the lamp off next to my side of the bed and crawl under the covers.

I hear Jonathan close his phone beside me and set it on the table stand. "Goodnight CJ, I hope you had fun today".

Jonathan turns off the lamp next to him and shuffles to move the sheets over him.

"Goodnight Jonathan", I say quietly. "I did have fun".

I stare up at the ceiling above me. Neither of us move on the bed, and we don't make any noises either. I start to drift off into sleep as I feel slight movement next to me. Just as I reach blissful, much needed sleep, something touches my hand.

Jonathan's fingers wrap around mine and don't let go. I fall asleep with a smile on my face.

I love Jonathan Toews.

He's my guy.