~6~

The bots continued to work as Ratchet typed on the main computer. The smaller one had been completely destroyed by Optimus. The medic sighed forcefully and gripped the console. He felt awful for getting mad at him. The sparkling had been extremely quiet and he figured it was because he was sad. He wondered if he should check on him.

"Ratchet!" The medic jumped and looked around wildly, before looking at the young boy who had yelled.

"Rafael what's wrong?" He asked as he walked to the human area. The boy grinned happily and pushed his glasses back up.

"I found it. The project you were working on. It wasn't destroyed." He said as he smiled brightly. Ratchet blinked a couple times then his faceplate broke into a smile.

"Ah ha! Rafael you never cease to amaze me." He said as he smiled. He went to the computer and Raf uploaded it. The medic smiled more.

"I can't thank you enough." He said as he read it. He typed a few things and it was completed. He ran off to find Optimus and restore him. Raf smiled as he watched the medic.

"Wow... I've never seen the Doc so happy. It's really weird." Miko said as she watched. The boy looked at her and fixed his glasses.

"Think about it like this. If Jack was changed into something against his will, you would do something about it to change him back, right?" He asked. She nodded and Jack blushed a little.

"I try to put myself in their shoes... or peds. That way I can understand what's going on and I can try to help." He muttered and typed some more. The other two just looked at each other.

A few minutes later Ratchet came back in with a concerned look. The bots stopped and stared at him blankly. The medic scanned the room and saw the bots were still bringing energon back through the portal. He stared at the portal and his optics widened in fear.

"By the AllSpark." He gasped and ran to it.

"Ratchet what's wrong?" Arcee asked as he stopped in front of the portal.

"Optimus is gone." He muttered and looked at them. "It's possible he's... not even in the base." He mumbled. The others dropped what they were doing. Bulkhead and Bumblebee went back through as Ratchet, the kids and Arcee searched the base.

~

The sparkling wandered around the mine aimlessly. He had seen the bots go in and out and stayed hidden behind a rock. Once he thought it was safe he went down a tunnel. He didn't want them to take him back until he fixed things. He got bored and started humming a song Miko taught him. She would occasionally sing random songs to see what she could get stuck in his helm. He quietly started singing.

"Tell everybody I'm on my way.
New friends and new places to see.
With blue skies ahead, yes I'm on my way, and there's no where else that I'd rather be." He sang as he wandered around the tunnels. He wasn't sure where he was going but he knew he had to fix this.

"Tell everybody I'm on my way, and I'm loving every step I take." He smiled as he looked at his peds.

"With the sun beatin' down, yes I'm on my way and I can't keep this smile off my face." He grinned happily as he wandered.

"Cause there's nothing like seein' each other again...." he trailed off and stopped suddenly.

He looked around and furrowed his little optic ridges. He realized he hadn't been paying attention and was now lost. He whimpered quietly and looked around. He knew if he was lost he had to ask for someone to help. But there was no one around the tunnels. He sniffed sadly and kept walking as he sang quietly.  Hoping someone would find him.