V. A Most Unique Propostion

Song: /
~
This chapter is dedicated to hanuman1702
~
If you would dare to consider mercy more powerful than fear then imagine how the world would change.
~

Click. Click. Click. The sound of the princess' boots reverberated on the polished wood of the throne room. The columns she passed were covered in woven vines and golden spiraling branches which gave the room the appearance of a mythical garden. The King reclined on his throne, his lips tainted red as he guzzled a goblet of wine. Arde twirled an ebony lock within her fingers and shifted her diadem so that it was no longer slipping to the side.

"It is done."

"He is dead?" The King asked with as much interest as he could muster.

"He might as well be."

She processed up the ivory stairs and walked before her king without so much as a bow to show respect. Yes, he was her King, but he was also her father and that lessened his power over her. He would never harm his daughter, the spitting of the woman which he loved. Every harsh word he spoke in her presence would bring him to the mournful memories of when the Queen Illiana had passed. By the time his mind came back to the present his anger had subsided.

She was his little girl, and nothing she ever did would change his mind.

Arde waited expectantly for him to question her about the situation concerning the spy, but to her surprise he wished to discuss a different matter entirely. For many years he had pondered her future. Arde was strong, perhaps even stronger than the Crown Prince, which was a fact not hidden amongst the nobles. While Terrin had the love of the people, Arde had the favor of the court. And in the end what did the peasant's opinion matter? He was a traditionalist and he could not allow a woman, no matter how competent to take the place of his eldest son. So he devised a plan that would make his worries nothing more than a whisper in the wind.

"I've invited King Aeshin of The Northern Kingdoms to come join my council for this season. I wish to welcome him to our nation in the hopes that he might become a powerful ally..." His voice trailed off.

He could see the gears whirring in her head as she tried to understand his reasoning for revealing the information. Arde pursed her lips and her hand quivered with frustration.

"Is that wise? We already have spies in our midst! What use do we have for another? Do you want to see our kingdom crumble?"

Taken aback by her strong opinion the King searched for words that might calm her suspicion. Aeshin could not...would not be a spy...and he needed her to see that.

"Arde! He is a KING! A ruler of a nation, not some petty servant in a disguise! If he wanted to infiltrate our kingdom he could have already done so! No, he is coming for mutual benefit..."

Mutual benefit...Arde thought. Such a unique choice of words.

"How is he receiving a mutual benefit? You are doing this only for your advantage! What could he hope to gain?"

The King took a lingering drink from his golden cup. He planned his next words carefully, hoping that she would appreciate the care and delicacy he had taken in the matter.

"As you know, the King was coronated only last winter after the death of his father. He has yet to find a Queen, a woman to partner with him in his rule. I was hoping you would be willing to help him."

Arde let her hands fall to her side. A bride, Aeshin wanted a bride and it seemed that she was the one he had selected. Emotions tried seep into her mind, but she dismissed them immediately instead choosing to think tactically as she always preferred. Power, was her addiction and she craved it with every fiber of her being. If this man could give her power then she would be more than willing to agree to this union.

The King studied his beautiful daughter's face and watched as a dangerous glint slipped into her eyes.

"I will be a Queen," She said, preferring to disregard the fact that her husband would still be sovereign over her.

"Yes, my dear. Indeed you will."

The King smiled to himself as he once again drank from his goblet. He knew she would have been attracted to the King's power which made this the perfect ploy. He was giving his daughter a crown and saving the kingdom from rebellion with one marriage. Pleased he looked down upon his daughter and smiled.

"He will be here within four days time."

Arde's mind raced. There was much to do before his arrival and she needed to make sure everything was in order. The spies would have to wait. She had her kingdom to secure.

"Very well. I will be ready."

Arde turned and left her father behind. She had much to ponder and plan. She marched through the halls until she came to the black door that was the only barrier between her employees and the servants. She twisted the knob and looked around the dark, candlelit room. Spies, tacticians, scribes, and ambassadors looked up from their work at her entry.

"Find me everything you can about King Aeshin."