Prologue

Song: "The Trial of Loki" from "Thor: The Dark World" by Brian Tyler
~
"Everyone has a secret. The darkness inside them willing them to lash out on the world before them. Every single person holds the power to reach within their heart and channel this darkness for better or for worse."
~

The young girl smiled faintly as she looked down at the empty vial in her hand. The potion had tasted bitter when she drank it, but she had longed for the relief it would bring. She wiped a single tear from the corner of her eye as her hands began to shake. The vial slipped from her grasp and shattered on the floor. It would not be long until the potion fulfilled its purpose.

The girl pushed a single strand of brown hair out of her eyes and gently laid down on the floor. She grimaced as the broken glass sunk into her tender palms, but only looked with longing at the shards. Death was welcome to her. The toxin had been created to the specifications she had required. She wanted to walk into Death's grasp through the loving embrace of sleep, not through a violent end. Her breathing slowed until it was, but a gentle whisper. Then abruptly, like a storm in the spring, it stopped. She was gone.

A spectre stepped forth from the shadows. Lithe and as pale as the moon, the visitor to the girl's uncovered grace was as unique as any spirit. The woman muttered in frustration when she found the limp form. The girl's weakness had been in her strength.

Sorry 'bout this. It has to be done. The woman thought as she kneeled before the corpse.

She placed her hand on the girl's brow and gasped as she felt her power being expelled from her. Black tendrils coursed through the girl's still veins. The woman cursed as she realized that she was unable to remove her hand. Her final decision had been made for her. She watched as the girl's hair slowly changed from bronze to a silver that matched her own, with the realization that once the last lock changed the transaction would be complete. The girl convulsed and an aura of light formed around her.

"Erisyll...Never Reveal."

The woman was startled by the sound of her own voice. It had been decades before she had uttered a word. Her icy eyes focused on the being laying before her. With that final glance, she dissipated into smoke and was carried away by the fleeting winds.

The girl rested, unmoving and quiet. She had never intended to wake again. When the cold air finally stirred her from her dreams she awoke unsettled and confused. She looked at her arms and studied the darkness swirling in her skin. She touched it in curiosity and was surprised it did not cause her pain. As she calmed the darkness faded and her skin returned to its normal hue. After standing and looking at her surroundings she realized this was not the death she had so hungrily sought after. She was alive. She raised her voice to scream in frustration, but when she opened her mouth she only added to the silence that was filling the courtyard.

-A/N: Wow

-A/N: Wow. 3rd person is hard! I have a lot of respect for you guys who use it all the time! (Not that I didn't respect you in the first place.) Well. Here is the first chapter! ...it was a bit dark....What did you think?~Lorna