III. Burdens We Must Bear

Song: "Shadows of Loki" by Brian Tyler from the Soundtrack of "Thor: The Dark World"
~
This chapter is dedicated to BananaBam03
~
If shadows were tangible how could we hope to keep the dark at bay?
~

Gerhard paced outside his sister's room. He had been waiting for Adolyn to grace him with his presence for a half an hour and he was getting anxious.

"Addy! C'mon! You should be ready by now

"Addy! C'mon! You should be ready by now."

She gave no response to his prodding words. Adolyn was in the middle of fixing her hair and she was determined to finish. Her brother was always in a rush to hurry off and do something, but he gave no thought to the fact that it took her longer to dress. Her dresses often had multiple layers and a corset to tie. She had refused the help of any servant, so it often took her a while. After giving a final twist to her dark curls Adolyn opened the door and looked at her younger brother's expectant face.

 After giving a final twist to her dark curls Adolyn opened the door and looked at her younger brother's expectant face

"You sure took long enough!"

Adolyn rolled her eyes and laughed.

"You didn't have to lace up a corset and tidy your hair. All you had to do was slip into a shirt and trousers and pull your hair back with a cord!"

Gerhard grinned and looped his arm through his sisters.

"You women should learn to make your attire simpler." He teased.

"You men should learn to be patient!"

As they walked down the hallway they happily chattered about the simple joys of the royal life to distract themselves from the confrontation they knew was coming. Redael had summoned them and they could only imagine the reason why he would call them before the throne. Their cheerful discussion dissipated into nervous silence as they approached the oaken doors that separated them from their cousin and his group of advisors. Gerhard gripped the door handle and pulled with all his strength. A loud screech announced their entrance as the door swung open. Adolyn placed a confident smile across her face and entered first. As the oldest, she felt that it was her duty to be the first to confront Redael.