Northern Ireland, 1971

Start from the beginning

"Oh, tough luck mate, I'm sorry."

"S'alright, a man's busy, eh?"

Elliot nodded, slipping his hands into his pockets and watching the ground as they walked. 

"Hey," Greg stopped walking to pull something out of his trouser pocket. "He gave me these tickets, we were gonna use 'em tomorrow, but I can't now. You want 'em? There's two there, I'll not go so you's and Joe can take a cinema trip." 

"For us? I can't take them, Greg," Elliot protested, but Greg shook his head. 

"Seriously, mate. I was only interested because me dad was gonna take me. It's some Beatles shit, anyway."

Elliot laughed, putting them in his pocket. "What makes you think I'll enjoy a Beatles film?"

"Documentary, actually," Greg corrected him in amusement. "Music. Not that it's your scene. Got geography next, I'll catch up later, aye? Take care w' that." 

Elliot waved up a hand in greeting as the blonde boy jogged on down the corridor, running his finger along the jagged edge of the ticket, before shrugging in interest and sauntering off after Greg. 

"No way!" Joe exclaimed in thrill, grabbing the tickets from Elliot's hands, as they walked their bikes out of the school. "I haven't been to the cinema in two years, El, me dad never wants tae take me!"

"Well," Elliot responded in amusement, walking backwards in front of Joe, and then slowing down to walk side by side with him. "We're going. Courtesy of Gregory Shales." 

"And his no-show dad!"

"Ay, don't be a dick about it or I'll send 'em back to him." Elliot dug his elbow into Joseph's rib, who winced and shot him a look, quickly resuming his beam. 

Within three seconds, Elliot had had to grab onto the railings to avoid sprawling on the floor when a shove came from behind him, accompanied by a chorus of high-pitched laughter. 

"I'm so sorry," mustered a girl, as she was pulled past him by a group of friends, flashing him an apologetic smile before disappearing into the crowd. Elliot regained his stance, staring after the girl.

"Ha! Wanker!" Joe's voice chimed through Elliot's thoughts, patting him on the shoulder. "C'mon." 

As they walked their bikes out of the narrow alley, Joe grabbed a newspaper off the stall, throwing his coins into the pot, and flattened out the headline. 

"Shit," he murmured, looking down. Elliot skimmed the newspaper, reading '1970, 3 April. Riots on Springfield Road in Belfast.' 

"What's CS gas?" Elliot asked uncertainly, looking at Joe, as he stuffed the paper into his pocket. 

"Type a' tear gas," he responded, mounting his bike, Elliot following suit. 

"It's going mad, mate."

"Fuck them," Joe muttered, spitting on the ground before cycling off.  

On the way back the arch of trees wasn't the same without the sunlight glinting through it, including the fact that more news had come through. 

"See you's tomorrow then!" they called, as the crossroads came up and they split directions, merely metres before Elliot's house. He pulled the bike up to the fence, leaning, and padlocking it onto the gate before jumping up the steps into the house and shutting the door. 

"Dad?" he called, pulling off his coat. 

"Shut up will you's?" his brother snapped, looking through the door. "This is important." He disappeared behind it again, and the sound of voices came up. 

Elliot stepped forwards in curiosity, and creaked open the door to the study, to hear a tinny voice emerging from the radio sat on his dad's desk. 

"And this wire here, right? It's -" his dad looked up from talking to Frederick and gave a small nod to acknowledge Elliot's presence. Fred gave him a small glare as he dropped his bag off his shoulder.

"Dad -" he started. 

"Not now, Elliot." 

"Dad, I want to ask you -"

"Elliot!" His dad was more focused on crossing over the two spindly wires in his hand than listening. 

"I'll go anyway then," Elliot muttered, kicking his bag with his foot out of the room. 

"Go where?" his dad looked up, suddenly with peaked need to know. 

"Cinema with Joe, tomorrow night."

"Wha'? Dad, no, that's not fair!" 

"Shut up Frederick. What makes you think I'll pay for that?"

"Gregory Shales gave two tickets to me. It's a Beatles film."

His brother immediately broke out snickering, and laughed loudly. "Let him go da', I'm not bothered anymore."

Mr Morris gave Elliot a look for a few seconds, before leaning back in his chair to fetch a screwdriver off the shelf. 

"Back by 8, you understand me, Elliot? And when you're back you can help wi' the sink."

"Yeah, dad," Elliot grinned, leaving the room and swinging on the banister on his way up the stairs. 

"Bloody hell, I hope he's going for the sake of it. Not for the actual Beatles." His dad fit the wire into the slot, and watched Elliot run up the stairs. 

"Or to take the mick," Fred added. "Unlikely. You'd better stop him dad, before 'e buys a guitar."

They shared a look of amusement, and Fred flicked on the radio again.