Chapter 16: Flying Home

I woke up in Adam's house - in a spare room on the ground floor. The sun's beam was gentle and it warmth my skin. I lifted my head and took a quick look around the room. I had a dream. It was a mixture of pleasantness and unpleasantness. I felt happy dreaming about it but there was a mixture of confusion, fear and anger.

I dreamt about my little brother. I was happy to see him but I couldn't reach him. However, he told me to not worry, do what's right and go for it - don't ever look back. I laid my head back down on the soft pillow. I rubbed my face with my hands as I heaved a deep sigh. What have I got myself into?

I decided not to stay in. The Perrys' seemed to be busy in the kitchen. I could hear their soft chatters and plates clanking. I shuffled towards the door and slowly swung it opened. I had my lips pressed together. I didn't want to disturb them. Instead, I wanted to watch them. I was curious how a family breakfast goes.

I stood behind the arc that led to the kitchen. I peeked. Adam was seated around the table along with his parents. His parents had smiles on their faces and Adam had one too - but not as wide. His mum handed him a plate of toast. Adam grabbed one from the plate and smeared it with butter. I managed to catch his parents' loving gazes towards each other. It was a sight I used to see a decade ago when my parents were still together.

 It was a sight I used to see a decade ago when my parents were still together

Adam spotted me. He flashed a gentle welcoming smile. He pulled the chair next to him. His parents followed his gaze. I came out from hiding. 

"Come join us, Dylan. I bet you're hungry," Adam's mum said cheerfully.

She prepared a plate, a glass of apple juice and a piece of toast for me on the table. I sat down on the seat next to Adam. I stared at the breakfast in front of me.

I will miss this - the warmth, the love and the protection.

I picked up the toast from the plate and carefully smeared some butter on it. I took a small bite and looked up. I found Mr and Mrs Perry glanced at me, then they turned to Adam. We continued breakfast as if it was normal for them to have an American orphan joining the table. If only his parents knew I was a killer - not just his friend.

Although it was hard for me to swallow, I kept on eating. I was choking my tears back but I was happy. Really. I had the feeling this was the last meal - lovely and calm - I will ever have. Once Adam report me, I would be in prison and I will have meals with a bunch of other guys who are just as bad as I was. Maybe I was half as bad as they are.

Once breakfast was done, I helped Mrs Perry clear the table. As she washed the dirty dishes, I helped her wipe them dry. It reminded me of home. When dad left with Sophie, I spent most of my time with my mom. I helped her with tonnes of chores and bring up as much random topics as possible to cheer her up. She liked to talk (and gossip, of course). I was her best friend. However, she got married again. But the chores never stopped. 

"What are you thinking about, Dylan?" Mrs Perry asked - bringing me out of my memory lane.

I turned to her.