Chapter 3: Him

2nd cover by MissRosa01

It was Saturday.

I packed my bags and I walked out of my home. My parents were still asleep. It was 6am.

I decided the promise was still going and I couldn't break it. I would never break it. I guess a secret until death is true.

I got on a bus that took me to the train station. From there, I took a train to the next town which would take about half an hour. Once I arrived at the next town, I could feel anger boiling inside of me. I didn't feel it back at home because I was quite anxious. But once I was there, I just knew. I wanted to kill him just like how he killed her.

I tightened the grip around the strap of my backpack. I jogged up the stairs and I was in a town. It was calmer than home. I turned left and right. I need to get to the boarding school where he was. I hope he didn't go home for the weekend. 

I walked to the boarding school as if I've been here a thousand times.

I entered the school building and asked for Dylan Rhodes. (Poster by MissRosa01)

It took a few paper work just to see this bastard

It took a few paper work just to see this bastard. After another lie, I managed to get a visitor pass. I hate lying. I walked out of the building and went to the dormitory. I entered one of the dormitory and looked for Dylan's room. I stood in front of the door. Music made the floor beneath my shoes shiver. The door that seperated me from punching him in the face straight away was vibrating to the music.

I raised my fist and knocked lightly. I tried again since my knocks were drowned by the music. The music became soft and I head a click. Dylan Rhodes opened the door. He lowered his sunglasses. Why was he wearing sunglasses inside?

"Can I help you?" he asked.

From that short phrase, I knew why Heather liked him. He was different from anyone she knew; including me. He was not from here.

"Fucking pervert," he huffed and was about to slam the door shut.

"Wait!" I said. 

He rolled his eyes and let the door wide opened. He backed away from the door and gestured for me to enter. 

"Do you know Heather? Heather Loskey?" I asked as I walked into his room.

"Depends on who's asking," he answered as he took off his sunglasses and threw it on his desk.

"I'm Adam - Heather's friend,"

"Oh...the famous Adam Perry. Then, yeah. I do know her. Why?" he replied and sat down on his chair. "She talks about you a lot," he added.

"She did?"

"Yeap. Now to what do I owe the pleasure to have you in my room?"

I hate him. More than before.

"Did she say anything to you? Anything that was rather unusual or...anything?"

"Sworn to secrecy, my friend. I don't share," he answered. "Plus, we don't really talk. We just joke around and have random conversations most of the time,"

"When was the last time you talked to her?"

"Look, man. What are you doing? Why are you interogating me? Are you her dad or something?" Dylan said with a frown. "You're asking too many questions that I doubt you're Adam Perry,"

"I am Adam," I claimed.

"Then why are you asking me these questions? You could personally asked Heather if you're that curious about us," Dylan said firmly as he stood up. "Get out of my room,"

Dylan didn't know she died. Or...this was just his acting. I wasn't really sure. He stormed towards the door. He had his hand wrapped around the door knob.

"She's gone," I told him.

There was a long pause. He was frozen. I knitted my eyebrows and I felt very nervous. What if he kills me? I swallowed.

"What do you mean she's gone?" he asked in a shaky voice. "Did she...ran away?"

"No. She's gone; as in she's dead,"

Dylan opened the door urgently and ran out of his room - leaving me. I chased behind him. I knew it! He killed her! He killed my best friend!

"Hey!" I called out to him as we both ran along the empty corridor. "You twat, stop!"

I followed Dylan into the school gym - which looked very nice compared to the gym at my school. I stopped and watched him wandering around in the gym. He was searching for something.

"What are you looking for?" I asked.

"Something," he replied and bent his knees to look under an equipment. "Shit. Where did I put it?!" he groaned.

"Are you going to kill me?"

"What?!" Dylan responded and looked under a table. "Ahah!" he cheered loudly that made me jump.

He pulled out a sandwich bag from under the table and stood up. He turned around to face me. He raised the sandwich bag so I could see it clearly. There was Heather's handwriting on it but I couldn't read it. To be honest, she may be a girl but her handwriting was awful.

Dylan approached me step by step with a disgusting smirk on his shitty face. He was tossing the sandwich bag in his hands. 

"You thought I was about to kill you?"

I scanned him from top to bottom - trying to locate a gun or a knife.

"What makes you think I am a killer, Adam?" Dylan chuckled.

"I don't know. Probably the fact that you managed to smile upon her news of death,"

"You make quite an impression, Adam. Anyway...," Dylan smiled and handed me the sandwich bag. "She told me to give this to you," he paused. "...she told me she was going away. I've prepared myself for the worst because she...told me many things,"

"Like what?"

"That can wait," Dylan beamed.