Chapter 5

Asher's body moved in sync with hers. It had been ages since a man had led her with such agility. They moved around the dance floor with subtle elegance; capturing the attention of the guests around them.

Asher was relishing the feeling of his hand on her small waist. He could feel the warmth and liveliness of her body through the expensive material of her gown. Vida moved with such alluring vigour, her body, intoxicated with music, swayed smoothly to the beat.

"Your dancing is flawless."

"So is my partner." He smiled.

She smiled at him, "Everybody's staring at us," she whispered.

He bent his head down to her ear, "They should be," he whispered back.

She arched an eyebrow, "Arrogant, aren't you?"

He looked up, leading her across the dance floor with ease. "Why should I not be? I'm dancing with the most beautiful woman in the room."

"I'm sure you say that to all the ladies you dance with."

"No, just you," He looked at her, "Because it's the truth."

"And partly to see that delightful blush spread across your cheeks," His smile grew wider as he noticed her cheeks grow pink.

"Are you always this presumptuous?" Vida groaned inwardly, this was the first stupid question her brain thought to vocalize.

He chuckled, "I thought I was just being charming."

"I suppose the ladies must love you."

He chuckled, "Not nearly as much as men love you my dear."

Vida's knees went weak as he charmed her with ease. She was baffled; she had never allowed a man to be so forward with her before. She was confident, intelligent woman; she had spent years in the company of celebrities, socialites, politicians, tycoons - millionaires and several billionaires. Yet this man she had met only a few hours ago had managed to temporarily strip her of her natural charm.

"I highly doubt that," she retorted as she turned her head.

He took her sparkling blue eyes captive with his sultry hazel ones, "Then you obviously don't know how striking you really are."

They danced in silence for a while afterwards - Vida enjoying the feel of her body lightly brushing against his, the subtle power in his shoulders, his deft movements, the feel of her hand in his large, strong one and his arm around her waist discreetly pulling her closer towards him.

Asher felt a tap on his shoulder a short while later. He turned around and saw Mateo, there to interrupt Asher and his sister for the second time that night. Asher smiled hesitantly.

"May I?" Mateo asked politely.

"Thanks for dancing with me. I really enjoyed it."

"Don't thank me yet. I'll be back for more," he winked at her. She laughed; her face was lit up with a dazzling smile.

Vida watched Asher walk out of earshot as she danced with her brother, "What is it now?" She snapped as she looked back at Mateo.

Mateo was hardly shocked by his sister's reaction, "Now is that any way to talk to your loving brother?" He enquired sarcastically.

"Stop being an ass and get to the point Matt."

"Your brash intimacy with Asher Dalton would be a cause for concern for any protective brother."

She rolled her eyes, "Oh kill me for trying to have a good time."

He narrowed his observant green eyes, "I want you to have a good time, just not with him."