Chapter 34: Coconut drinks and secret conversations

Start from the beginning

And thats when I heard it. The chuckle that gave it away. Instantly my head snapped up to look in the trees where Justin was perched looking down at me with an amused look in his eyes.

"Justin!" Jennifer let out a sigh of relief when she glanced up. Everyone seemed to visibly relax from his presence.

Justin had somehow managed to quickly, and very quietly, climb the nearest palm tree. He had himself wrapped around the tree, his hands up top near the coconuts and his feet planted on the tree to support him. I could see his back muscles visibly contracting beneath his tight shirt.

David picks up a coconut and grins before saying he was going to get something to open it with from the minibus.

With that, Justin expertly climbs down the tree half way before pushing himself off and landing right onto the jungle grounds, not even flinching from the harsh landing on his feet.

"Okay, nobody tell Vince about this," Jennifer jokes, "he'd never trust us again if he finds out we lost Justin the first 2 seconds of our little excursion."

Noah rolls his eyes, "Yeah and Doctor Terrenlot would plan to keep an eye on Justin 24/7. Might as well lock him up in a room on his own with just her."

Both Jennifer and Justin seem to visibly tense up from his words. A certain look of fear and anger blazes up in Justin's eyes and I recall the conversation my dad was having with Doctor Terrenlot on the phone when Justin was taken away for Isolation. It clearly affected him and I felt terrible. It was my fault he got sent in there. I overreacted when he lashed out on Grant, but I was just worried and his sudden outburst frightened me.

Noah is unaware of the sudden tension in the air that only Jennifer, Justin and I seem to notice. Jennifer is the only one who really knows what happens. My dad obviously told her, but not us.

Luckily David returns with a machete that looked like it was meant to open coconuts. He grabbed one and with one swift moment he indented the coconut, allowing a small opening. He stretches out his arm to Jennifer. "Enjoy."

She takes it with a smile, but then notices that she doesn't have a straw. Justin doesn't wait for the rest of us as he grabs a coconut and wastes no time to smack it against the palm tree, allowing the coconut to split.

Some of the water inside of it spills out, but Justin is quick to bring it up to his mouth with two hands and titling his head back to drink up the water. The sight is almost shocking as he gulps up the water, drinking like dehydrated man who has gone days without water.

I watch as some of the water drips down his shirt and face as he indulges himself in the sweet tasting drink before dropping the coconut to the ground.

Justin is suddenly aware of our stares and he brings a hand up to wipe his face. "Damn," Noah whispers in an impressed tone, "what a savage."

"Savage?" Justin tilts his head to the side, hearing this word for the first time.

Noah grins, "Yeah man, up top!" He holds his hand up for Justin to high five, but he just stares at it in confusion.

"Oh, right," Noah mumbles, grabbing Justin's hand and hitting it against his own. "It's a high five."

"High five?" Justin mumbles in pure innocence, staring down at his hand with wide brown eyes.

Everyone seems amused by Justin's lack of knowledge on a high five. It was quite cute.

"Yeah." I lift my own hand to wiggle my fingers in his face. "High," I bring my hand up and Justin watches. "Five!" I count my fingers for him. Justin seems to finally understand as he brings up his own hand and wiggles his fingers for me.