Chapter 34: Coconut drinks and secret conversations

Start from the beginning

"Terrenlot," Doctor Ramone speaks up, glancing between us. "I think you should let Beatrice relax. She's probably still tired and hungry. Let the girl eat."

I mentally thank Doctor Ramone for cutting in. Doctor Terrenlot purses her lips and nods. She doesn't talk to me for the rest of breakfast.

When we are done eating, we all get up to leave to do some exploring.

"Okay so I'm going to be splitting you guys up into groups!" David claps his hands. "All the adults who are here to do boring research please go to the minibus up on the front." He jokes, directing all the doctors to the blue mini bus.

"Justin," Doctor Terrenlot calls out in a strict tone.

My dad who's standing between us stops him before he can leave his side.
"Actually I think Justin should go off with Jennifer and the kids."

Doctor Terrenlot's eyes turn to slits "Is that so?"

"Yes." He replies. "I think it will be good for him to enjoy himself while we are here. Plus, he's not needed during this part of our research." Dad assures the other two doctors.

"Sounds good to me." Doctor Ramone shrugs. Doctor Terrenlot still doesn't seem convinced.

Jennifer smiles, not noticing the obvious tension in the air. "Let's go then." She seems happy to be out here and away from the cold weather of New York. Noah, Justin and I follow her to the mini bus and we all pile on with David who sits up front to drive.

"I'm going to be taking you guys down to the other side of the beach and from there we'll do some walking in the wild forest. It's absolutely beautiful, very tropical," He chuckles. "It might be a little bumpy so hold on."

The ride there was very bumpy as David warned us to the point where everyone basically shifted out of their seats at one point.

Noah had practically almost fallen out at that point and we all bursted out laughing and even Justin had chuckled which made me smile even more and lightly touch his hand with my own.

The light brush of our fingers made him look over at me and smile. I returned it, removing my hand before anyone could notice. Suddenly, the mini bus came to a sudden stop.

"We're here!" David yells, hoping out of the minibus and landing right onto his feet. "Now let's get exploring!"

Jennifer and David walk ahead, leaving us kids all together. I probably shouldn't identify Justin with the word 'kid' considering he's in his early twenties, but he's not exactly apart of the 'adult' group here on the island, I guess. Anyway, I notice the way Justin's eyes light up in recognition as we enter the tropical forest.

David stops to put something out to us, but i'm not exactly listening. Instead, I turn to put my attention on Justin, but then realize he's no longer by my side.

"What the heck?" I say out loud, catching the attention of both the adults and Noah. They instantly notice Justin's absence.

"Where'd he go?" Panic starts to take over in Jennifer. Dad and the rest of the doctors are going to be really upset if they find out that somehow Justin managed to disappear in the matter of two seconds under our watch.

I feel my chest tighten as we all searched around the area. He couldn't have gone far, could he? I know he's fast, but surely we would have heard him.

That's when it happened.

A round brown thing fell right at my feet, hitting the ground. I jumped at the sudden sound. It's a coconut. Then one after the other, coconuts started to drop from the sky and down at our feet. "What the-" I cover my head with my hands in fear that a coconut would drop down on my head any second from now.