Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

"Only a few times, I haven't been skating in a really long time though. I loved it as a kid. The last time I went skating was with my older brother, Chris, when I was around thirteen or fourteen years old. Oh god, just talking about it makes me feel old," Mom answered, as she was tying the laces on one of her skates.

"You're not that old Mom, you look like you could be around your late twenties," I complemented her, as I tied the last skate on my foot.

"Thanks, but I'm actually thirty six years old," She clarfied.

"So... you were twenty years old when you had me?" I noticed her grimace slightly when I asked her.

"Yeah, I was. Come on, you ready?" Mom asked me, as she got up from the bench with both of her skates on.

"I've been ready, I was just waiting for you slow poke," I said, as I got up too.

We both placed our purses and shoes all in one cubby, before heading out to the skating rank. Once my skates touched the cold, polished, wooden floor, I began having difficulties with maintaining my balance. The floor quite slick with skates on. So, I stayed close to the wall to help maintain my balance.

When I glanced over at Mom, she wasn't struggling at all with her balance. Of course she had more experience than me with skating, despite how long it's been since she skated last time. Mom made it look like it was a piece of cake.

"Need any help?" She offered.

"No, I got this," I replied back.

Eventually, I misplaced my footing. Slipping and falling very harshly onto the wooden floor. This was my first time skating and I already fell on my butt. I think I bruised my thigh too, but not too badly. I glanced up—noticing Mom hovering over me, as she chuckled and held out her hand to me.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just slipped, that's all," I grabbed her hand, as she helped me back up onto my feet.

"Here, let teach you how to skate," Mom suggested , as she started instructing me.

For the next hour or so at the roller rank, Mom has been taking her sweet time to teach me and help me learn everything I need to know on how to skate properly. From the basics like maintaining my balance and stopping myself, to more difficult stuff like foot coordination and speed control. It was fun and enjoyable experience that I was glad to share with her.

"Hey Mom, can you give a ten second head start? I want to try skating on my own without any help," I asked her.

"Sure, I won't be too far behind incase you need any help again," She replied.

"Mom... I'm sixteen remember. I'm not a little girl anymore," I stated, as I began skating far ahead of her without realizing it.

Eventually, I finally got the hang of it. Quickening my path with each step I took. I was glad to enjoy this learning experience with my mother, since it's the only thing she's taught me. You could literally see the look on Mom's face of how proud she was of me. While I was skating, I caught of Cat and Shelby sitting at one of the tables in the lounge area. I started freaking out a little bit.

'Ok Laura calm down, as long as you remain positive and you ignore them nothing bad will happen today,' I mentally told myself. I calmed myself down and ignored them. 'There's no way I'm letting those bitches ruin my special day.'

***

"Wait, you actually work for TerraSave???" I asked her, using a shocked tone of voice.