“Like I said he can adopt if he can’t find a surrogate.” Erin replied.

            “So you will call this child, which is not blood your grandchild and love them as if they were really your son’s flesh and blood?” Gregory asked.

            “Yes, I have done that with Xavier and Ann Marie. They might not have a blood relation to me, but I love them as my own. For me it doesn’t matter if they share the same blood as me, family consists of the people in your life who you can’t live without.” Erin said.

            “Well you might be able to do that, I sure as hell can’t. Nor will I stand by and watch as your son throws his life away, just because he thinks he likes boys.” Gregory said as he walked out of the kitchen.

            Erin just sat at the table thinking how ignorant some people can be, especially when it comes to their own family, but she wasn’t going to let them make Preston’s life hard. He will always have her as his support system when no one else is there for him. She was just glad that Preston wasn’t here to hear his father rant about how wrong it is to be gay and how he has no son. She knew that if he heard that it just might push him toward his breaking point. That is a place she didn’t want him to ever have to be push to. She couldn’t bear losing him; he was her baby and only child. She would do anything in the world to protect him, even from his own family if she had to.

            Preston had walked to the nearby park; he sat on the bench that was near the duck pond. Watching the ducks always cheered him up when he was feeling down. As he watched the ducks, his mind kept wondering back to what Robert had told him. He had said to give his family time and they will come around, he didn’t know how long he could take the looks and the whispering behind his back. Then there was his dad, the man he had always looked up to. Now he couldn’t even say one word to him or look at him. Sometimes he wishes he could go back in time and make these feelings he has go away. Then he wouldn’t be here right now alone and sad. He always thought his family was open-minded and would accept him as he was with no problems. His best guess was maybe they were only open-minded on certain things. He had really hoped he would be one of those lucky people who had a family that loved them no matter what.

He had stayed at the park for a good hour before he went home. He had hope no one was at home, he didn’t feel like dealing with anyone. When he walked in, he found his mom in that kitchen, but no one else was there and that was a good thing.

            “Hey mom I’m back.” Preston said as he sat down on the barstool.

            “Hey honey, did you have a nice walk?” his mom asked.

            “Yeah I went by the park and watched the ducks.” Preston said.

            “That’s nice I know how the ducks have always cheered you up. Are you hungry, I could make you something to eat?” his mom asked.

            “Yeah sure, what are you making?” Preston asked.

            “I have some leftover bacon, I could make you a BLT without the tomatoes if you want?” his mom said.

            “Sounds great, you want me to toast the bread?” Preston said.

            “Sure while I reheat the bacon and get the lettuce ready.” His mom said as she placed the bacon on a plate, to put in the microwave.

            “Mom do you think dad will ever be able to come to terms with me being gay?” Preston asked after he got out the other stuff for the BLT’s.

            “I want to believe he will, but I’m not too sure he will. He seems pretty upset about it, and only God knows why.” His mom said.

            “So you’re saying it might not be a good idea to bring my boyfriend around, for everyone to meet?” Preston asked.

            “I don’t think right now is a good time, maybe when everyone has accepted you being gay.” His mom said.

            “Would you like to meet him? I could set up a time and place to meet; I know he would love to meet you.” Preston said.

            “I would love to meet him, how about today? I’m not doing anything and as you can see, everyone is gone. We could really use some time away from the house.” His mom said.

            “Ok great I’ll give him a call to come pick us up.” Preston said.

            “Finish your food first then call him.” His mom said.

            “Yes ma’am” Preston said as he took a big bite of his sandwich. After he finished he helped his mom with dishes then he called Grant. He answered on the first ring.

            “Hello love to what do I owe this pleasure of a phone call from you?” Grant said.

            “Well I was calling to see if you would like to meet my mom today?” Preston asked.

            “I would love to meet her; shall I pick you two up?” Grant said.

            “Yes just give us about twenty minutes to get ready.” Preston said.

            “Of course, I’ll see you soon.” Grant said as he hung up. He knew that Grant would be able to cheer him up. He just hoped his mom loved him as much as he loved him.