Chapter 20

--

WOOP! WE JUST GOT A CALL THAT SAID WE HAVE NO SCHOOL! WOOP WOOP!

Anyway, I didn't get any comments on the last chapter and I'm really sad. Sorry if it disappointed you or something...:(

Here's the twentieth chapter! There are only five chapters left. I think I'm going to cry :(

Enjoy this chapter!

--

Chapter 20

His face lights up as he strokes my cheek. "Okay."

I step off his lap and watch him gather his sketching pad. I fall even more in love with him as I watch him find the perfect pencil in his collection to draw me with. He pulls his chair from his desk over by his bed and props his feet up on his bed.

"Aww, this is like the Titanic!" I say. "Except I'm not naked and no, I'm going to get naked."

"Damn it," laughs Andrew, raising an eyebrow. "Do not compare this drawing to the one on Titanic, Claire bear."

I smile wider and sit up. "How do you want me to lay?"

He strokes his baby whiskers forming on his chin and purses his lips. "Like a model. You know, a hand on your hip, acting like you own the world."

I lie with a hand on my hip and rest the other on my head. "Like this?"

He cocks his head and puts the eraser of his pencil to his lips. "I've changed my mind. Don't do that," he says. "Why don't you lie on your stomach, fold your arms in front of you and rest your head on your arms? I think I'll draw you better that way."

I do as he suggests and rest my feet up against his wall. "Like this?"

Andrew looks at me and rests the notepad in his lap. I don't know why he's been looking at me the way he is now all night long. I want to know what is so interesting about me that makes him stare.

"God, Claire bear," he whispers. "You're so beautiful."

I feel my cheeks redden deeply and I have to hide my face in my arms. He just called me beautiful. He called me something no other guy has called me before.

"Andrew..." I say and look up at him. "You really think so?"

He nods his head. "Definitely."

After my face goes back to normal I see him start to sketch me. "Am I a good model?"

He peeks up at me and continues drawing. "Oh yeah," he says, winking. "Wait a second, don't move at all." He gets up from the chair and kneels down in front of me.

"What are you doing?" I giggle.

His eyes are glistening in the dim lighting. "Your hair is in your eyes," he says and puts my bangs behind my ear. "I can't draw you if I can't see both your eyes."

I nod my head. "Wait, I have an idea." He watches me drag my purse over to the bed and pull out a bobby pin. "This will keep them out of my eyes."

It seems like the more time we spend together, the more romantic he gets. Most people only know the side of him that they think is important, but only I know how romantic he is. I didn't expect him to be the romantic, gooey type, but he is. He really is.

"Perfect," he says when I'm finished pulling my hair back. He slowly kisses me and taps my nose.

He sits back down on the chair and picks up his pencil and notepad again. To stop most of the silence, he quietly plays music from his computer.

"Andrew?"

"Hmm?"

I look at the floor. "What made you decide to go to Denver?"

He looks up and studies me as he draws. "I think when you told me how good I was without actually seeing me draw, something clicked." He looks up for a few seconds and then draws again. "I think you made me realize that I can do something great with my life."

"You can, Andrew," I say.

He sighs and changes the song on his computer. I love the way his hands move so perfectly with the pencil to create pictures beyond my imagination. I love the way he can do what he loves while being with me.

I just love everything about him.

"Andrew?"

"What?" He laughs.

"Am I the first person you've ever drawn?"

He nods his head and bites his lip, as if he's nervous to admit that. "I'm not much for drawing people, but there's a first time for everything, right?"

I nod my head with him. "Andrew, I-"

"Hey, you guys," Lynn says from the doorway.

"Ah, damn it, Mom," he says, looking down at the picture. "You made me screw it all up."

Lynn rolls her eyes, but peers over his shoulder of the drawing. "Oh my God, Andrew." She rests her hand on his shoudler, looking astonishly at me. "This is an amazing drawing, honey."

He rolls his eyes and erases something on the paper. "Well, it was actually okay until you made me jump and ruined it."

"Like that was my fault," she says, shaking her head at me. "Anyway, we are going to play Battle of the Sexes if you two want to play. Have youe ever played before, Claire?"

I shake my head. "No, in fact, I've never heard of it before. How do you play?"

"It's very simple," explains Lynn, using her hand gestures. "It's men versus women and we ask each other questions. The goal is to get three trophies on your side of the board first."

"Normally it just proves that men are smarter than women," Andrew simply says.

Lynn and I clear our throats at him. "Excuse me?" I say definsively, getting up from my modeling position. "Who helpled you study for every subject?"

He smiles and flicks his pencil. "You did. Maybe it will prove that men are smarter than most women."

Lynn nods her head and pats Andrew's shoulder. "We'll wait a couple minutes for you guys. We haven't quite started."

"Okay," I answer as I walk to look at Andrew's drawing of me. "Can I see it?"

He winces, but holds it up for me to see. I put my hand over my mouth and sit on his lap. "Andrew..." I run my fingers over the picture and it's so beautifully and lightly sketched that it doesn't smear. "I don't know why you didn't want me to see you draw before." I feel his lips press against my shoulder blade. "Honestly, this is the best drawing I've ever laid eyes on."

"You think so?" he quietly asks, letting his warm breaths take over my shoulder.

The way that he draws every detail of my facial features, hands and fingers portrays just how much talent he has. He's made it so it look so realistic that the picture could come alive and not have to change anything.

"I know so," I say, closing the sketch pad and lying it on his desk. I rotate myself around on his lap to match our bodies together. He tucks his nose into my neck and his lips gently kiss it.

"What were you going to say before my mom walked in?" He asks.

"What?"

"You were going to say something before my mom walked in," he repeats.

I was going to tell you I love you.

I'm glad that Lynn interrupted my blabbering because I don't think I could have finished my train of thought if she hadn't. If I tell him and he doens't love me back, I don't know if that or the fight we had will make me cry more.

"I..." He's now looking at me straight in the eyes. I don't know if I should tell him. I don't know. Telling someone you love them isn't as easy to say as it looks. I wish it was.

"Claire bear, you okay?" He sounds concerned now and I don't want him to be getting any wrong ideas.

I nod my head against his warm, soft chest. "It's nothing. It's stupid."

I start to rise from his lap, but he pulls me back down. "No, Claire, you can tell me. No matter how stupid it is."

My voice seems to be stuck in my throat. "I was just going to say that I'm proud of you. Like, for choosing Denver and for letting me help you study through everything."

He's smarter than he might come off as, so I know he can sense that's not what I was going to tell him. I'm not a good liar and he's smart enough to figure that out.

"Thanks, Claire bear," he says instead of trying to squeeze it out of me. He must know I don't want to talk about it. "I'm proud of you for being patient with me. I get side tracked a lot."

I force out a laugh. "Oh, I know you do."

We sit and smile at each other, soaking up the silence. I push our lips together, teasing him just a little bit. We are expected downstairs in a couple minutes, so I can't make out with him like I have been doing almost the whole evening.

I climb off his lap and straighten my sweater. "I'm going to go prove that girls are smarter than boys."

Andrew raises his eyebrows. I offer him my hand and he willingly accepts my hand up from the chair. "I just wish it wasn't boys versus girls so I can be on your team."

I giggle and lead him out of his room, kissing him one last time before we are forced to sit apart during the game.

"Alright," Lynn says when we reach the table. Andrew pulls out my chair for me and then moves over next to Austin. "Boys versus girls."

"Mom, that's not fair!" Austin whines. "We have Andrew."

Andrew's eyebrows curls and he slaps Austin on the back of his head. "Shut up."

"Both of you quit fighting," Lynn warns.

Austin rubs the back of his head and slaps Andrew's arm.

"Do you want to get pummeled?" Andrew says through gritted teeth.

George moves in Austin's spot to split them up. "Children."

"We will ask you boys first," says Lynn. Addie picks up the first card and clears her throat.

"What do you call a woman who agrees to have a baby on behalf of another person?" She asks.

Austin looks confused as hell and Andrew doesn't look any better. "This is all on you, Dad." Andrew laughs.

George rubs his forehead and snaps his fingers. "A surrogate mother."

"Correct," says Addie, stuffing the card away. "Next question."

She hands me the box and I pull out a card. "Okay," I say. "On what piece of women's clothing would you most likely find an underwire?"

"A bra," Andrew and George both say.

Lynn raises her eyebrows. I don't think she wants her son to know things her husband knows, but Andrew has done things younger than they most likely did. He's not innocent.