Chapter 5

-----

I updated, at least, and I wrote this chapter faster than I thought I would.

School is just the perfect time to write my stories. Apparently my brain hatches its ideas while I'm in Seminar...

I hope you like this chapter! The first part explains my everyday life. I switch roles of Claire and Andrew occasionally. One day I'm the dealer and the next I'm the person begging.

Enjoy!

-----

Chapter 5

One of the funniest things to witness in class is the kid that has no idea what we're learning about. Unfortunately, I can't enjoy it because the kid sits behind me.

"Claire, what the hell is the old hag talking about?"

I roll my eyes. "Maybe you'd know what she's talking about if you paid closer attention, Andrew."

"Touché," he whispers.

I smile, and thankfully he can't see it. I am twirling my pencil in my hands.

As Mrs. Whitley is talking and buzzing quickly through notes, I run my fingers to the zipper of the smallest pocket in my book bag. I grab what feels likes my gum pack and pull the second-to-last piece out.

Taking gum out during class is a difficult thing to do. All eyes go on you when they smell your gum, then they all trample you with, "Can I have a piece?" or "I'll be your new best friend," and we all know that's not true. Honestly, it like giving gum to someone is a drug deal. In this case, I'm the dealer and the begging people are the druggies.

To my surprise, nobody starts begging. Nobody saw me take out the "drugs" in my book bag. That means I get the last piece later today.

Andrew's hand appears at my side, and he opens his palm. "I saw that."

God, damn it!

"You aren't getting any," I say with a whisper.

I hear him sigh, but he keeps his hand on my armrest. "Please?"

"No," I say.

"Why not?"

"Andrew," Mrs. Whitley says, annoyed. "Is there something you want to share with us?"

"No, ma'am. Please continue teaching."

"Great," she smiles, fakely. "Then, shut up and write."

He nods, smiling. She continues teaching.

"Please?" Andrew whines again.

He's such a whiner. I slam my elbow into his hand, making a louder noise than I hoped. He pulls it back quickly. He's clutching his hands and shaking it at his side. "Jesus Christ, Claire."

Mrs. Whitley has had enough, I can tell by her irritated glare. Calmly, she walks over to the "Shooting Stars" bulletin board and removes a star from beside Andrew's name, but there was barely any there before.

"No!" Andrew yells like a child. The classroom erupts in laughter. "Now I don't get gum or candy?"

"You weren't going to get any of Claire's gum anyway." Mrs. Whitley smiles and shoots me a wink.

I turn around to face him. He doesn't look as mad as he sounds, and oddly, I didn't want him to be mad at me. He just stares at he bulletin board and ignores our classmates' laughter.