Chapter 54 - Red Skinned Boars (3)

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

No wonder he felt confident. If he can take down such a beast at range, there isn't much need to be concerned about his safety. It'll surely be difficult if he wants to get a one shot kill, but he seemed rather self-assured of himself. He must have been practicing his throwing skills without me knowing.]

Both Tom's confidence and Adam's ease and expectations were proved to be premature. This was because, unlike what Adam had thought, Tom hadn't actually been practicing his throwing skills. Now in all fairness to Tom, the dagger he had thrown was actually on target at first, however, unfortunately for him, the boar's head didn't remain in a stable position. As the boar was charging forward, its head was naturally moving up and down and side to side, resulting in Tom's dagger missing the boar's eye. Instead, it glanced off the side of the boar's head, only leaving a small, superficial cut.

[Shit!] thought Tom, seeing that he had failed to hit his mark and that the boar had already approached to within several meters.

Not having time to draw his sword, Tom immediately dove to the side, avoiding the forward charge of the boar, and performed a roll before finding his feet again, much to the relief of Adam, who had started when Tom's throw had failed and was prepared to run forward to help his cousin.

[He missed. It's a pity but at least he was able to get out of the way. Hmm, but his form and technique didn't seem that good. Could it be that he hasn't actually been practicing? No, it must be nerves. He's still inexperienced so even if he has been practicing, it's not unexpected that the reality of actual combat would affect his posture and positioning. Besides, even the best don't always hit their mark.

Then again, he might have been confident for a different reason. He might have had something else up his sleeve, some other plan, and was just trying his luck with this]

After Tom dove to the side, the boar stomped its front feet down on the ground and forced itself to come to an abrupt stop. It then turned around and once again charged towards Tom. This time there wasn't much distance between them, but, that also meant that the boar couldn't build up as much momentum.

The boar charged towards Tom, who was half kneeling on the ground and still hadn't drawn his sword. However, when the boar approached closer, when it was just outside of his striking distance, Tom made his move. He suddenly started drawing his sword and as he did so, he also pushed himself forward off the ground.

Tom stayed low and tilted his body to side, in order to avoid the boar's tusks, as he sprang forward, all the while drawing his sword out in a slashing arc. His aim, however, was not to slash at the head or body of the beast, but rather at one of its front legs. He may have missed with his dagger throw, but, the eyes of a creature were just one of its weak points.

[Damnit, I have to practice throwing later. I suppose Adam wasn't wrong when he insisted I trained my fighting skills. Cultivation really isn't everything; I also have to make sure I can protect this body] thought Tom, kicking himself a bit over his failed first attempt at the boar.

[Humph, never mind. I might have missed my throw, but you're still not too difficult an opponent. As long as I immobilise you, you're as good as dead]

Moving forward at an angle and with a slightly tilted body, Tom was able to avoid heading directly into the forward charging path of the boar and soon found its tusks safely passing him by.

He, of course, with his strength at the 6th level of body strengthening couldn't meet the boar head on and had he not sprang forward at an angle, he would have suffered a serious injury from the impact of the boar's charge and then died being trampled to death beneath it.

The next moment, just after he saw the beast's tusk pass him by harmlessly, Tom felt a strong impact force reverberate in his arm as his sword bit into the creature's front left leg. This forced his arm back slightly, but, he was able to draw his sword across the boar's leg as he continued to move forward.