Chapter 7

Kat
July 4, 2005

*

Same day

*

"What the fuck?" Vanessa's voice pulls me from my depressing thoughts. I look up to see her marching straight towards David. "I leave for two fucking minutes and you fucking made her cry?"

I'm crying? I reach up to feel wetness on my cheeks. I didn't even realize I was that upset.

"I didn't make her do anything. She was just remembering how good we were together. Right, Kat?" His annoying voice breaks though my foggy mind.

I jump when he says my name, but my brain won't tell my mouth to form words. Was I really thinking I should be with him?

Where is my mind? Maybe I'm the one who's high. Something has to be wrong with me.

Why would I give up just a sliver of a chance with Ben to be with this waste of space?

"Come on, baby. Tell her." He rubs my arm, snapping me out of the trance I was in.

Moving away from his touch, I look into his eyes, seeing him for who he really is.

Arrogant.
Unprofessional.
Disrespectful of women.
Mentally abusive.
Cheating scum.

Before he can touch me again, I stand up, turning around to face him. It feels good to be physically above him, as well as mentally.

His mouth opens to say something, but I hold my hand up in his face, stopping him. "You should leave."

"Baby, you don't mean that. You know I'm the only one for you. I can give you things you'll never experience." His cocky grin makes me want to kick him in the crotch.

"Like chlamydia?" Vanessa pipes up from behind me. I barely contain the giggle that sneaks up on me.

He rolls his eyes. "That was one time."

"What?" Her eyes bulge as her voice takes in a shrill pitch. "You really had it? Gross!"

"It's not a big deal, I took the medicine. I'm fine now. Ready for business, if you know what I mean." He wiggles his eyebrows at me, but all I want to do is punch him.

I scoff. "Gross. Get out."

"Come on, babe. You know I can please you better than that boy ever could." Immediately I see red. How dare he talk about Ben that way.

My hand slaps his cheek before I can stop it. "Fuck you."

He gasps, grabbing his cheek.

I stand above him, shoving my finger in his stupid face. "You will never be half the man Ben is. We've been over since the moment I saw you with that skank and the moment I met Ben erased you from my mind completely."

I vaguely hear Vanessa's voice from somewhere in the room. "Damn."

Stepping back, I try to give him space to get up. "Now leave. Before we drag you out."

He doesn't move, but I see him swallow hard.

Vanessa moves to stand next to me. "Fuck that. If you don't leave, I'm telling the whole fucking school your sleeping with your students. You'll never get another job, you disgusting prick."

He stands suddenly. "No. I'll leave."

She steps closer, poking his chest with her finger. "You know what, maybe I'll just tell everyone anyway. You would deserve it."