Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

    A serene smile curled onto my lips once again, my tear filled eyes taking in my newly ornamented surroundings. Streamers were hung up all along the walls, contrasting against the dullness of the unadorned living room. Bundles of balloons were tied down to multiple balloon holders, scattered all throughout the room. Last and not least was the dining room. Sitting on top of the polished table top was a birthday cake, elegantly decorated from top to bottom. Plastic plates, forks, knives, and napkins were situated beside the cake, alongside all of the wrapped presents that I couldn't wait to open.

    I quickly wiped away the tears that threatened to pour from my eyes before anyone could notice. "Guys, you didn't have to do all of this." I gestured to the balloons, streamers, and other birthday decor they had adorned the interior of the apartment with. "Don't you think this is maybe a bit too much?"

    "Nonsense honey." Mrs. Nivans walked forward, halting in front of me. "Today is all about you, Laura. After all, you only turn sixteen once," she placed her hands on top of my shoulders. "And with everything that has happened to you in the past couple of days, you totally deserve this. Alright, birthday girl?"

    I nodded my head at her. "Aye aye, Mrs. Nivans."

    A cordial smile decorated her lips, pulling me into her warm embrace. "So if I hear another word about it from you young lady—so help me god—I'll go and grab the paddle from the truck and spank some sense into that brilliant noggin of yours. You, Piers, Tyler, and Emilie may not be kids anymore, but that doesn't mean that the four of you are safe from the wrath of the paddle." The two of us released our hold on one another.

    I couldn't help but chuckle at her forewarning. "Roger that ma'am," I saluted Mrs. Nivans, like any soldier would when paying their respects to their commanding officer.

    Mr. Nivans came over to his wife's side, wrapping his burly arm over her shoulder. "Trin, there's no need to worry about her giving us a hard time. You know as much as I do how much of a well-mannered young lady she is, even more civilized than the boys were when they were just wee devils in diapers."

    Tyler let out an annoyed groan. "Dad, we're literally right here! There's no need to act like we're not here."

    Mr. Nivans glanced back behind him, looking past his youngest son as if he was invisible. "Did you hear that, Trinity? I could've sworn that I heard someone just a moment ago."

    "A senior moment perhaps, hun? I have many reasons to believe that your age is finally starting to catch up with you," she replied, joining in on the hoax.

    Oh boy, here we go. An amused giggle escaped my lips.

    Tyler walked over towards his parents, standing in front of them whilst they continued to ignore his presence. "Okay guys. The joke's over. So y'all can stop now." He turned around, facing his older brother. "Come on, bro. Help me out. You can't leave me hanging here like this."

    Piers met his father's gaze, not sparing Tyler a single glance. "Sorry Dad, but I have to agree with Mom on this one. Your time in the military may have left you in better shape than most men your age, but it doesn't give you complete immunity from the drawbacks of elderliness."

    And just like that, he has turned his back on you, Tyler.

    "You of all people should know this better than anyone else, baldy," Em chimed in. "Old age is one of those things that are undoubtedly inevitable. You should consider yourself lucky that you haven't lost your mind yet."

    Mr. Nivans stared down at Em, "It's gonna take a lot more than just old age to make me go senile, midget."

    I couldn't contain my laughter anymore, it was just too damn hilarious. I doubled over, uncontrollably laughing my head off. I clutched ahold of my stomach, throbbing continuously with miniscule jolts of pain. My knees then gave out underneath me without warning, prompting my behind to collide rather harshly with the carpet covered floor. Five pairs of concerned eyes swiftly turned in my direction, landing on my fallen form.