The Hungry Earth (pt 1) / Tests (pt 2)

Start from the beginning

But just for a few moments, I let it focus on him. I thought about how grateful I was for him, and how sorry I was that I wasn't sure about the exact amount I cared for him—but I knew that I did.

I did care for him.

I got on my tiptoes and moved closer to his face, unsure for a few moments, hearing both our breathing patterns slowly matching themselves.

I made up my mind, and kissed his cheek. "Thank you," I whispered, before turning and walking away.

888

Although he may seem like it on the surface, Mo was not an average man, technically speaking. While your average man may be a married father of one and a blue collar worker—your average man would not be an amazing father to a dyslexic son, and work at a mine that just drilled further than anyone's ever drilled into the Earth. Your average man may have read a book to his son and walked to work in the morning—however, your average man never would have experienced what happened next.

Nearly the instant Mo pulled out his book to read, the ground beneath him began shaking harshly. When all the security cameras in front of him seemed to erase themselves, he grabbed his flashlight and began walking towards the drill center despite the fact that he was shaking with fear. This was his job, after all.

Smoke was rising from the hole. "That is mad," Mo whispered to himself. When he kneeled down to investigate, his flashlight fell through. He reached his hand in to get it; only something was pulling him under, sinking him beneath the earth, silencing his screams for help.

888

Rory closed the door of the TARDIS behind him, the Doctor and Amy ahead of him somewhere at the big drill. Although the Doctor's irresponsibility was annoying at times, Rory truly didn't mind the fact that they were at gloomy 2020 Wales rather than at Rio instead—as long as he was with Amy. After all, he came back to the TARDIS to leave her engagement ring there, so she wouldn't lose it.

As soon as Rory stepped back out of it, however, a seemingly friendly yet unfamiliar voice greeted him. "Well, that was quick."

"It was?" Rory asked, not knowing what was going on, as per usual. He turned around to see a rather short, average-looking middle-aged lady looking up at him expectedly.

"It's great that you came," the lady told Rory.

"Bit retro. What is it, portable crime lab?" A little boy asked Rory, walking around the TARDIS and smiling. Rory noticed his hair was dark, unlike the woman's reddish-brown, and his eyelashes were long. Despite the fact, he guessed he was the son of the lady.

"Oh, uh, sort of," Rory tried. The boy wasn't exactly wrong.

"Ambrose Northover," the woman shook Rory's hand. "I was the one who called. I run the meals on wheels for the whole valley. This is my son Elliot," the woman nodded towards the boy, who couldn't have been older than 13.

"Where's your uniform?" The boy wondered.

"Don't be cheeky, Elliott. He's plainclothes. CID, is it? Anyway, its over here," Ambrose motioned for Rory to follow behind her.

"Um..." They had already begun walking far from Rory, and he didn't see any other option. "Okay."

888

"Hello." The Doctor greeted the woman in the mine—brown skin, black hair, and quite short.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" The woman asked immediately. They didn't normally get visitors. "And what are you wearing?" She motioned to Amy.