Chapter 3 | Why He Chose the Playground

Start from the beginning

"Hi, honey. How are you feeling?" Mom comes over and hugs the life out of me. I squeeze her back and rest my head on her shoulder.

"Fine, I guess. My head feels like it got shot."

She gives me a wholehearted laugh. "Don't worry, the doctors and nurses said that you will be out first thing tomorrow morning." She rubs my back gently in circles and we stay there awhile, embraced.

A knock sounds from the door again and we break up the hug, and Mom stands up to open the door. The doctor who came in a while ago with the clipboard is standing in the doorway. "We have set up the machines and X-rays. It's time for the tests. We're ready when you are."

I give him a small nod and give Mom one last hug. A nurse comes in and helps me into a wheelchair, even though I am pretty capable of walking. She pushes me forward and Mom waves at me as we exit the room. I close my eyes.

I hope this goes well.

***

I wake up once again, but not to a bright light, but to the quiet persistent noises of the machines surrounding me. I am usually a deep sleeper, but the tests wore me out - I didn't sleep too well. The light in the room, thankfully, wasn't awfully bright, so the aching in my head isn't as severe. I took three more cups of medicine before I knocked out.

I also hear the rocking of a chair. I turn around to see Mom reading a health magazine in a rocking chair, which is odd because I have never seen rocking chairs in a hospital before. Mom glances up and greets me. "Good morning."

"Morning. You've been here the whole time?"

She nods. "Yup. Your brother and sister wanted to see you, but you were either sleeping or having some tests run. Also," she looks uneasy,  "your dad called."

I sigh. "And?"

"Well, he was checking up on you. He's coming home today to see you and your siblings."

I gulp. I haven't seen Dad in a long, long time. Why does he decide to come home now? "Um, is he still thinking about getting back together with you?" Mom gives me a small, sad nod. Dad and Mom have divorced when I was only twelve, making Kara seven and Keith eight. It was a very sad time of our lives of having half of the love as we had before, and it was also a burden for Mom, too.

"So...you are not going to get back together with him," I state rather than ask.

"I'm afraid so, Kayla. I have already moved on; he should have too." Mom kisses my forehead. "Don't worry, everything's going to be all right."

"Mom? I want to tell you something."

"What is it, dear? Anything bothering you?" I shake my head.

"Actually, I have been thinking lately. You know my friend Zahra, right?" She nods. "Well, she has told me many things about Islam, and I find it rather...interesting. I have also read the Holy Book, the Qur'aan." A dark look crosses Mom's face. "Anyways, I thought that we should, um, maybe consider converting?"

Mom purses her lips. She takes a long deep breath before answering. "Kayla, I have sent you to a public school so that you will be more happy. I know that you want to interact with other types of people, but it doesn't mean that you should do everything as they do exactly. We are Catholics and we are strong in our faith. We can't be Muslims. It justs violates everything we have worked for for being our best."

I nod in understanding, but I hide my frown. I really want to be Muslim - I want to protect everyone I know, including myself, from the punishments that are to come. But I can't do so since Mom is so strong in her faith. If she only said yes...