Dinner

A few hours later I close the Fault in Our Stars with tears pouring from my eyes. I turn my head to the side, sobbing uncontrollably.

'Hermione you do realise that's my shirt.'

'It's just - so sad.' I ignore him and continue to clutch at the now drenched blue fabric of Draco's shirt.  'How could they do that?  They were going to be happy.' I cry.

After a while, I begin to calm down leaving Draco and I snuggled together on the sofa. 

'Hermione?'

'Yeah.'

'Well as much as I'm enjoying this we kind of need to go down to dinner.'

I just groan and don't even move.  I just don't feel like going down and facing everyone.  I know they will ask questions and I don't want to deal with that.

'Well if you don't want to go down we could always get some food brought up here.'

'Oh no we have to go they might say something important.' I push myself into a sitting position

'Hermione, no one will know we're missing except for maybe Harry and Ginny but you're not well you need to stay here and rest.'

'I'm not weak.' I defend but in a small voice. 'I can manage.  There's nothing wrong with me.'

'Of course you're not weak Hermione.  You're the strongest, bravest person I know but there is no shame in wanting to get some rest after the day you've had.'

'Okay, fine.  I guess.'  I sink back into the sofa.  'I just don't want to deal with all of that right now.'

'And there's nothing wrong with that,' he replies getting up.  'Right then, Hobney!'

There is a loud crack and the house elf McGonagall had introduced to us on our first day two months ago appears in front of us.  I am slightly shocked and horrified.  I had completely forgotten about the poor creature.

'Master Malfoy, Miss Granger,' came the elf's squeaky voice, 'what can I do for you.'

Before I can stop him Draco starts giving out orders.  'Dinner for the two of us and a couple of candles.'  I elbow him in the ribs and he adds a 'please' on the end.

'Only if you want to though,' I tell the elf.  'It's not fair that wizards should get to order you around all day.'

'But Hobney enjoys his work miss.'  He looks quite confused.  'A house elf lives to serve their master and Hobney is treated very well here.'  He looks back towards Draco.  'Will you be needing anything else, sir.'

'No that will be all,' but when I glare at him he continues, 'thank you.'

Hobney bows to the two of us and then there is another crack and he disapparates.

'You shouldn't have called him up here,' I scold Draco.  'It's awful that the entire wizarding community thinks that it's okay to keep slaves.'

'They enjoy it Hermione.'

'Just because they don't know any better.  If they were educated they would start to realise that they wanted wages and fair working hours.'

Before Draco can argue Hobney appears again, this time with two large silver trays balanced on each of his hands.

'Here let me help you with that.' I immediately bend down to take on of the trays from the tiny elf.  Hobney places the other tray on the coffee table.  He clicks his fingers and two silver candelabras appear on the table and with another click, each of the candles ignite. 

'Would Sir like me to dim the other lights.'

'Ah yes just leave the fire going... thank you.'

The room suddenly darkened as the torches around the room were extinguished so that only the ends glowed faintly.  The room was not so dark as they couldn't see because the room was still lit magically if only dimly.

'Will that be all Sir and Miss?'

'Yes thank you,' Draco answered.

'This is very lovely Hobney,' I praise the elf wanting to at least treat him kindly.

'Hobney lives to serve.' The house elf bows before disappearing again.

'They should be allowed to be happy,' I continue my rant.

'They are happy.  They find joy in giving and serving, that's what makes them happy.  Come on Hermione you'll spoil dinner.'

I just sigh and roll my eyes but I don't say anything.  Draco presses his lips against my cheek and then leans towards my ear.

'Though I have to admit, you're cute when you're mad.'

At this, I slap his arm.  'Watch it you!'  but he just laughs and leans over to busy himself with the trays.

We talk all through our dinner but I wouldn't be able to remember what we talked about.  Even though we've only been together for a day we act like it's been a month.  Apart from the butterflies that still zoom around my stomach, we are completely comfortable with one another. 

When we have finished with dinner Draco kisses me again.  This time his tongue slips inside my mouth and it just feels so perfect.  He can make me forget about everything that has happened. I gently play with his hair and a moan escapes my lips as he begins to place little kisses on my jawline. 

As much as I am enjoying it I push him off me.  'Draco we should go to bed.'

'Well you do like to move fast Miss Granger,' he smirks at me.

'No not like that!' I defend suddenly feeling flustered.  'It's just late and it's been a long day.'

'Of course Hermione,' He says standing up.  'You're right we should get some sleep.'

'I'm always right,' I reply cheekily.

He follows me up the stairs to my room but then walks through the bathroom to his own room.  When we are both ready for bed he comes back into my room. 

'Goodnight Hermione.' He wraps both his arms around my neck as I sit on the edge of my bed and I place my hands on his hips.  He begins to pull away but I automatically link my arms together behind his back so that he can't escape.  I don't want him to go.

'Hermione?' He whispers in my ear.  'Do you want me to stay.'

I nod my head against his chest.

'Alright then.'  He climbs over me onto the king-sized bed.  He slides himself under the covers but then I realise that I'm being selfish.

'Wait no, Draco you shouldn't stay.  I'll wake you up when I have a nightmare.'

'That's the point, isn't it.  So I can be here.'

I smile and lay down on the bed beside him thinking about how I have the most perfect person in the world as my boyfriend.

***

Later that night it is him I have to kill before I can wake up crying to him kissing my face.