The Seeker

Harry could feel the floo settle, the pulling sensation cease and the flare of the jade flames slowly lowering around him. He was left standing in a man's fireplace as the receding flames simultaneously exposed Harry and the room he'd arrived in.

It was a grandly decorated sitting room with ornate tapestries hung from the wall depicting scenery of the wilds that reminded Harry instantly of the forbidden forest. The floors were shining dark wood and the furniture looked older than Harry.

But all of that was observed in a vague way from Harry's peripherals because his eyes landed on the man sitting stiffly in the large armchair directly before him.

First, Harry saw the hair, and then the cold grey eyes, and then the dark robes and perfect posture.

As the last of the flames died down, Harry was left staring at Draco Malfoy, who in return watched Harry with wide eyed surprise.

Suddenly, Harry realized that the fire was on and with a small gasp, he jumped from the fire place, looking at his shoes to see if they were burned. His jeans were singed at the ankles and smoke rose from them.

Harry coughed, heart pounding, and finally glanced back up at Malfoy, shock still shaking him. The blond had pushed to his feet, a guarded expression on his face.

He hadn't considered that he would know the wizard on the other side. And Malfoy of all people...

This must be a trap, Harry thought. No way would Draco Malfoy put an ad like that up. Unless it was for something else; to make fun of harry, to hurt him, to humiliate him.

Harry spun on his heel.

"Wait."

Malfoy's voice shocked Harry still. It was borderline panicked and Harry couldn't help standing there, heart racing while Malfoy approached him.

He came to a stop behind Harry and Harry could feel his breath on the back of his neck, skating across his skin before he came around to Harry's side. He watched Harry closely, eyes raking his features until Harry finally found it in himself to catch the blond's gaze.

Malfoy swallowed and looked down, a surprisingly self-deprecating gesture.

"I didn't expect you to look so much like him," he said quietly and then cleared his throat. "Please," he said. "Stay for a little bit, at least."

Harry watched Malfoy, mind reeling with confusion.

Finally, curiosity won over self-preservation and he nodded.

Relief flooded Malfoy's expression and with a small smile, he led Harry into the apartment, gesturing for him to take a seat in one of the armchairs while Malfoy took the one across from him.

"Tea?" Malfoy asked and without waiting for a response, he waved a hand and tea and short bread cookies appeared on the small table between them.

Harry reached for his, grateful for the excuse to busy his hands.

"I take it you've never done something like this before?" Malfoy asked, accurately reading Harry's awkwardness.

"Er..." At the last second, Harry pitched his voice a little lower. "I didn't expect to see someone I know--er--recognize."

He took a sip of his tea, cheeks heating. He wouldn't last five minutes like this. Why hadn't Harry learned yet; he was not a good liar.

Malfoy smiled at him, amusement with absolutely zero percent sneer or judgment and that made Harry's hands shake even more. What the bloody hell was happening?!