“What are you planning to do with him?”

Layton clenched his fists, and his eyes hardened as he looked at me.

“I want to kill him. The only thing that stopped me was that you asked me not to do it. He deserves to die for what he did to you.”

“No, he doesn’t. There was no damage done. He didn’t hurt me,” I told him, reaching out for his hand. He pulled it away from me and got up from the booth.

“You’re hurt,” Layton told me, staring at the wound on my shoulder.

I looked down at it and then turned up to meet Layton’s eyes.

“Do you mind?” I asked.

“What?”

“Do you mind that the Wolf bit me? That his mark is in my skin,” I said, hoping I hadn’t built my grave by asking that question.

Layton walked towards me and wrapped his arms around my waist tightly, easily managing to pick me up from the ground.

“I don’t care about the bite, because that’s all it is. It will completely go away. It’s only a mark right now because it hasn’t healed. I care because you got hurt. If we hadn’t gotten there in time, it could’ve been a lot worse.”

I responded by crashing my lips against his. Layton was stunned with my attack, but he didn’t waste time in returning my kiss. He had no idea what his words really meant to me. I had to admit that I was glad the mark on my shoulder wasn’t turning him off. Unlike him, I was too self-aware and bothered by how the bite mark looked on my skin.

“I’m so glad you’re okay,” Beth, Layton’s mom, said.

“I am, and thank you so much for being there for my parents,” I told her. She had a tight hold on me. Layton was trying to pry her off, but she wouldn’t let go.

I chuckled, feeling good that she cared so much about me.

“We should have another reunion with the pack. A lot of people were left worried after your disappearance, Cassidy,” John said.

“I think if they see me around, they will know I’m okay,” I replied in a strained tone. I didn’t want another party where all the attention would be cast on me.

Layton turned to me and smirked. I scowled at his cheery expression.

‘I swear if you tell your dad to organize another party I am going to strangle you,’ I thought. I was staring at him intently, hoping he would catch my drift and not propose another celebration.

Suddenly, Layton looked at me with wide eyes. I cocked an eyebrow, wondering what had unsettled him.

“What did you just say?” Layton asked, openly staring at me.

“Umm… I didn’t say anything,” I replied, looking at him weirdly.

I wanted to voice out my thoughts on how uncomfortable another party would be, especially so soon after the last one, but I didn’t want to disappoint John and Beth. Layton was looking at me with a strange expression. I pegged it on the long list of crazy things that went on with him.

“I’m not crazy,” Layton said, scowling at me.

John and Beth looked between us two, seeming confused.

“I didn’t say you were,” I told Layton.

“No, but you thought it,” he said, while he stared at me completely stunned.