Chapter 18

Chapter 18

“Why did you do that?” I yelled at him.

I got on my feet and away from him as soon as his arms disentangled from my waist. At first, everything around me felt like it was moving in circles. It took me a moment to get my balance and be able to walk. When I was sure I wouldn’t face plant on the floor, I made my way towards the kitchen sink.

Layton’s lips had my blood on them. When he noticed I looked at his lips, he licked them and gave me a sheepish look.  

“I want you at the pack meeting today. I couldn’t take you if you didn’t have my claim. I needed to do it.”

He was acting like if his attack was normal. I felt angry at him, but most of all, the pain wouldn’t go away. If anything, it kept getting worse.

I rinsed the bite with warm water and pressed some paper towels over it. I had to be careful because even the smallest contact made my skin burn.

It wasn’t only the pain that was worrying me though. I was scared that the bite mark would heal and Layton would see it happen. I hadn’t told him anything about my gifts or that I wasn’t really a human. If my bite started healing on its own, Layton was going to freak out.

Twenty minutes after Layton had bitten me made no difference. The bleeding hadn’t completely stopped and it hurt just the same. I had taken a seat in the booth.

Layton kept passing me clothes to put over the wound. After a couple of minutes, they ended up drenched in my blood.

He looked really worried. He stayed near me for the most part. He was kneeling in between my legs, with his hands anxiously running up and down my thighs or on my sides.

Whenever it seemed like too much for him, he would get up and start pacing the room.

After a while, the blood stopped. We both let out a sigh of relief, only to have the blood start up once again. It went like that for another hour.

I wasn’t sure how much blood I had lost, but at a certain point I just felt like dozing off. My arms felt numb and I could hardly concentrate on whatever Layton was saying.

I thought about calling my dad, but that didn’t work out too well. His phone was off and I knew it would stay like that until he was out of work.

“This is not supposed to be happening,” Layton said, worriedly.

I had never seen him look like that. I had seen him angry, grumpy, and even laughing. But seeing him truly worried about something was really strange.

“What usually happens?” I asked.

I ran my hands through his hair, trying to find a way to comfort him. It didn’t help to have him stressed out if I was already feeling sick.

“You’re bleeding too much. I’m surprised you haven’t passed out.”

Layton removed the cloth I had over the bite and examined my neck.

“Is it because I’m different?” I asked him, not wanting to say the word ‘human’.

“It still shouldn’t bleed so much. I didn’t do it near anything important. The bite was only deep enough to claim you, not to hurt you.”

Layton sounded unsure. I was aware it was because I was practically bleeding to death.