Chapter 16

For a couple days right after I was born, I didn't see my mother at all. At first, my dad told me it was because she was busy. What could she possibly be doing, I had thought. I missed her so much, because even at a young age, I knew who she was and I loved her. Then, I caught glimpses of my mother. Outside, running around and hunting. I remember her looking at me once, with love and desire, but also hesitation. I didn't understand. My family said our distance was for my safety. How could it be unsafe, being with my mother?

Finally, I met her, for the first time after my birth. Everyone was cautious, handling us carefully. I still didn't get it. Later, they explained to me that she was a newborn vampire. After having me, she was transformed. I could tell, because the face I remembered from my birth was slightly different then when I saw her again. She had changed, a little bit. I realized that they were being extra careful because I was half human. They hadn't wanted my mom to harm me, because of my human blood. But the love we had for eachother shook away that desire, she said.

"That's so fascinating." Wes whispered.

As I was recalling these memorize with pictures and thoughts, I had my hand pressed to his face.

"Your talent... it's like nothing I've ever experienced before. I have never even heard of such a thing...." He said.

"Er- thanks... it definitely is something." I muttered.

Wes and I were sitting on the boulders sticking out of the pond near the meadow. We agreed to meet at this location around noon, and we've been sitting here for a couple hours. I haven't even raced him yet. He was just really interested in my special ability, like most creatures.

"Keep going!" Wes said desperately, and grabbed the hand that I had taken off his face. He placed it back on his cheek, and gestured for me to continue.

I sighed. Thinking about running, I started to remember all the races I had done with Jacob. I recalled the one time I had tried to slow him down, giggling lightly.

Last winter, after going on a hunt with Jacob, Alice and Emmett, Jake offered to give me a ride on his wolf back, back to the house. Being the competitive person I am, I declined and started sprinting home. He quickly caught up, and was starting to beat me, but I had a plan. With all my strength, I hurried up beside him, and swiftly reached down and grabbed one of his front paws. Not expecting it, he had totally flipped over and fallen face-first in the snow. I remember almost dying from laughter, but I kept running, and made sure that I won the race. Soon after I had gotten home, I turned around and saw Jake trotting in the distance, his regularly red/brown fur coat completely white, covered in snow. He didn't look very happy, but couldn't stop the smirk on his face once he reached my insane giggles.

After recalling that specific moment, I continued to think about Jake, and didn't really control of my train of thought. Eventually, I heard Wes give an awkward cough and I realized I was thinking of Jacob and I kissing. Embarrassedly, I jerked my hand away from his face, and blushed wildly.

"Should we race now?" Wes smirked.

"You know it," I barked, and got up on my feet. I jumped over the pond, and drew a starting line in the dirt with my foot.

"Let's fricken do this." Wes grinned.