Chapter Six: Reunited and It Feels So Good (COMPLETED REVISION)

Tragedy is very unpredictable. Not everyone reacts to it the same way. Some people cry, some panic, some black out. Some people even do all three. I don't. I'm one of those people who are able to think logically. I had to. Being the oldest and most responsible does that to you.

The first person I called was Liam. He agreed right away to meet me at my mother's house so he could help search for her. Lucinda was already out with her boyfriend, searching at the bus and train stations first. She was a pure wreck, blaming herself since she was supposed to pick Maddie up from my mother's tonight.No one had seen or heard from Maddie in more than seven hours, Lucinda being the last to hear from her after making sure she would be ready on time to get picked up.

My mothers whereabouts were unknown, but had been contacted about what had happened. Slurred words and incoherence told me she was probably with her junkie friends and unreliable. Justin on the other hand had disappeared again, but reassured me that he would keep a look out.

The next person I called was more than shocked to hear from me.

"Sophia?" the voice questioned and I hesitated. Was I right to call her? Though she wasn't fond of me right now, we needed all hands on deck. The chances were slim, but maybe Maddie thought to go to her. She does care for Maddie as a little sister after all.

"Uh, hey...Aria," I started, sounding unsure. I was convinced that this was a mistake when there was a long pause from her. The tension was unmistakable even through the phone. To be honest, it was expected. How else would it be after not speaking to someone for such a long time?

"Long time, huh? How're you?" she asked. I could hear muffled movement in the background and it soon quieted. So quiet, I wondered if she could hear my mind racing. I hoped that I wasn't interrupting anything. I was more than surprised to get such a cordial greeting, but I didn't dwell on that bit too much.

"Not so great actually. Listen, Maddie is missing and I was wondering if you've seen her?"

The tension seemed to dissipate instantly.

"Oh God, no I haven't. Do you need help looking?" Before I could answer her question she answered it herself.

"I'm on my way," she answered, "I'll be there in ten." My eyebrows shot up as the line went dead. I threw my phone down. I hadn't expected her to agree to come help me, but I was for damn sure grateful. I was more than grateful actually. She was willing to put our differences aside to help me.

I pressed my foot a little more firmly on the gas. My mind wandered while I drove between cars that seemed to think my speed was an offense to them. Ignoring the various honks no doubt intended for me, I tried to think of places that Maddie would go to.

When I ran away, I went to my favorite place in the world. A place where I felt the most happy and I could be myself. Somewhere that all the pain melted away.

She wouldn't go to the park because three summers ago Justin scared her by throwing her in the lake and she almost drowned, so that's out. Maybe she would be under the willow tree near the house. No, she wouldn't be there. She never liked it there after the neighborhood rumor that a man lived beneath the tree that stole and ate children. I think they were just trying to keep to the stoners and loiterers out, but I think that they were the ones who started it.

I couldn't believe my Maddie ran away. Okay, maybe I could since I'd done the same when things felt impossible at home. I had been so mad at my Mom for ruining our family. Getting pregnant and betraying my father drove him away. So then Dad moved upstate about four hours away and started a new family. He wanted me and Justin to go with him, but I was young and naive. I didn't understand why he had left, even though his wife had an affair and had the proof growing under her shirt.