[Chapter 11] Let The Games Begin

-Anthony’s POV-

“Ian, we’re going to die!” I shouted at him as I struggled to keep my hold on the bar. Ian looked at me and gulped.

“I’m sorry I played the game without you, man,” He apologized, “I was just…”

“Don’t make this into some sappy, sad apology-before-we-die thing, Ian,” I growled at him. He glared at me. Just as we were about to fall into the pit of sharks, something clicked and the cover above the pool closed.

Ian and I fell to the metal floor and gradually started to laugh, happy we were still alive. Just then, one of the doors opened and a shadow stood in the doorway. Ian and I rose to our feet as the person stepped forward, revealing himself.

“Shane?” Ian and I both asked in unison.

He heaved a sigh, “That’s my name. Don’t wear it out.” He threw two guns and Ian and me, “Take these. We have to get Toby, Dan, Phil, and Rachael.”

“Where are they?” Ian inquired.

I glared at him, “Are you that stupid? They’re scattered about this place, you moron!” He crossed his arms over his chest.

“Come on! We don’t have much time!” He ran out of the room with us following him. We approached a door and Shane kicked it down. Water gushed into the hallway, and I grabbed the nearest pipe and held on tight as the water settled on the floor and an unconscious Phil appeared.

The three of us looked at each other, wondering who was going to save him. Ian bent down and started giving him CPR. Now I don’t know if he did it exactly right, but Phil coughed up water and looked at us, frightened, “What just happened?” He asked hoarsely.

Shane pulled another gun out for Phil and handed it to him “Come on, we’ve got to meet up with Joey and everyone else.” We started running through the hallways and bumped into who Shane needed. But I noticed Rachael wasn’t there.

Shane did a head-count and announced, “We have seven people. Who are we missing?”

“Rachael,” I answered quietly.

Just then, Kenya called Joey on his earpiece.

** Joey’s POV**

“Joey! Shane can you guys hear me?” I heard through my headpiece.

I quickly said, “ Yeah, we just finished grabbing everyone, but we can’t find Rachael!”

“Okay, that probably means she is on another level. There may be clues to help you find her, look around the room. I’ll check back with you later.”

“Bye.” I told everyone to spread out and look for clues or anything that could help us. They split into three groups and began to search the place.

After fifteen minutes, Dan called out, “Hey guys! You might want to see this.” We walked over to the door he stood before. Inside was a large dining room, with long table covered with fancy dishes at each of the fourteen seats and silver trays lining the middle. Above it hung two large chandeliers. There were large windows on one wall, and outside a storm raging.

“Wow,” Toby commented, “They go all out in this game.”

We saw that on the table were fourteen items laid out. Then a pop-up message appeared, an electronic female voice beginning to read:

Welcome players to MISSING. This game will take you through four different levels. You have survived the first level. One of your players is now MISSING, though, and you will find the player on the final level. Each player will receive a piece of artillery, choose wisely. Each level will take strategy, discernment, and combat skills. Good luck to you all!

The pop-up closed and before our eyes appeared seven boxes, each different colors, shapes and sizes. We all stepped forward and picked up a box. We opened them to reveal a kit, which included a suit, a weapon, and a backpack full of other materials. We equipped the stuff and were ready to play the game.

We migrated out of the dining room to the lobby with a spiral stairwell that led to the upper lever. Shane spoke up and said, “Ok, maybe we should split up. You know, have one group go farther into the game.”

I spoke up and said, “No we shouldn’t. We have no idea of what is coming, or what we will face in this game. And we are stronger together than apart.”

Anthony then interrupted, “But if it means we can get to Rachael faster, we should do it.” That sparked an argument between the seven of us about what the plan would be. Shane tried to break it up, but it was useless.

Suddenly I heard a noise almost like an elephant walking towards us. Vibrations that moved the floors followed. I yelled at the top of my lungs, “EVERYONE, SHUT THE HELL UP!” Everyone stopped, then from the top of the stairwell came five huge black spiders, each with six beady red eyes. They started crawling on the walls and the stairs, heading straight for us.

Shane gulped and said, “Everyone take cover, get ready for battle. The game has just begun."