11; questions

Freya stared at the digital clock beside the bed with the cloth that was initially tied around her hands now laying beside her feet. She'd managed to squeeze her hands out and now sat on the edge of the bed, massaging her wrists.

It was dark outside now and nothing was visible through the window. She felt unsafe sitting in a room with no barricaded windows or charms to protect the walls. But worse than that, she didn't know if her brother was dead or alive.

She heard someone turn the doorknob and the sound of keys jingling before the door slowly opened. 

It was Tristan who walked in first, followed by Jade. They were both dressed in black from head to toe which was coincidental, Freya assumed.

Jade closed the door behind her and leaned against it.

"Freya," he said with a curt nod of the head.

Freya decided to stay silent.

Tristan glanced at Jade before sitting on the edge of the bed. "Your brother is downstairs and we'll let you meet him but-"

"Is he okay?"

He paused before replying, "Yes but you need to know something before we take you down."

"What?"

"Your brother could've died back there in the forest."

"But he didn't," Freya replied, slightly optimistic.

Jade sighed, impatiently. "He didn't die because Tristan saved his life."

Freya looked back at him, "You bit my brother, I don't know why that was necessary."

"You shot me, let me remind you."

"Because you weren't listening to me."

"You shot me because I wasn't listening to you? Are you serious?"

Freya threw her hands in the air in exasperation.

"Your brother transitioned, Freya. I asked you if you wanted him to live and you said yes," Tristan paused. "It was the only way I could save him."

"Your brother is a werewolf now," he finished with as much clarity he could put into his words.

Freya didn't blink, "What?"

"I bit him to save his life but he's a wolf now and things are going to change for him. I need you to understand that."

"Werewolf," Freya repeated, blankly.

"Yes-"

"That's impossible," Freya stuttered.

Tristan frowned, "It was the only way I could save him."

"I can't believe this," Freya half whispered to herself.

Tristan folded his arms across his chest. "Look, we can sit here and discuss the thousand things that you don't know that exist in the world or you can go downstairs with us and try and help your brother."

Freya looked at Jade who looked like she would rather be anywhere else in the world.

She was still unconvinced that they were helping her and Greg out of the good of their hearts. They were murderers and bullies in her eyes but for the time being, she'd just go with it.

"Fine," she muttered, ushering her hand at the door. "Let's go."

Freya followed Jade into one of the rooms downstairs. The house was quite big, she observed and the high number of rooms made her wonder as to how many people actually lived there. They walked into the room where Greg was sitting silently on a sofa with his back facing them.

"Greg," Freya made her presence be known.

He turned around and immediately stood up, running to Freya and throwing his arms around her waist. She wasn't sure what she was expecting to see. Sharp teeth? Paws and fur?

"Hey, easy. How are you?" she said in a lower voice, hoping she'd be allowed some privacy from the people that had begun to gather in the room.

She took him to the sofa and told him to sit down before sitting down herself. "I feel okay," he answered.

She nodded. "Okay, good. That's good. I'm so sorry this happened to you."

"It's not your fault."

"It is, if we'd left after the club we could've avoided all this."

"It's not your fault," Greg said more seriously. "I'm better now."

Instinctively, she pushed his hair out of his eyes and felt her heart drop when she saw something different in his eyes. She thought she saw a speck of gold but that was impossible since Greg had blue eyes.

Freya looked at the people, some of them unfamiliar. "What now?"

"It's late so you can stay the night," Tristan said.

"And then?"

"You can leave," Jade chimed in causing Tristan to give her a look.

Freya stood up, "But you said," she lowered her voice. "What about Greg?"

Tristan stared at her, blankly, "We saved your lives and that is all. What you choose to do now is up to you."

Freya watched the people begin to walk out of the room until Jade and Tristan were left.

"That werewolf nonsense?" Freya asked. "You can't just say you bit him and kick us out. Too much has happened and I need answers."

"Freya," Greg's sleepy voice came from behind her.

Tristan looked between them and then sighed. "Let's talk about this in my office," he said. "Jade, keep an eye on the brother."

Freya hesitated but agreed.

The pair walked into the office down the hall. She looked at the bookshelves and the painting behind the desk. "Sit," he said before taking his own seat on the leather chair.

Freya closed the door behind her.

  •