Chp. 28 no fun in funeral

Last chapter, play the song above ^ and see what I did there with the title? Not crying at ALL ~R
~~~~~

"It's too late, Ethan is dead"

Nicole's P.O.V

The image of the once gorgeous boy dying in my arms with blood pooling around us kept replaying in my head.

I peek my head over Ethan's lifeless body. His face was drained of color and his muscles are stiff but he still looked perfect.

Grayson was kind enough to prepare his body for the funeral, he even dyed a lock of Ethan's dark hair to red.

I stood on my toes and leaned in closer to him. "This is all my fault," I whisper.

"If only I had known about my disorder from the beginning, you'd probably still be here. I always knew there was something different about me, I just didn't know why,"

"I miss you, Eth. It's not the same without you here. I want you to have this back," I tell him.

I reach into my black clutch purse and pull out the fragile, white rose. It's the same rose Ethan gave me the night of prom, I kept it.

It's all shriveled up and flat now, I was keeping it as a bookmark but I think he'll need it more now that he can't spritz on cologne.

I tuck it into the front pocket of Ethan's tuxedo shirt, "I guess this is goodbye, for now."

I'm hoping my small, black veil can conceal the smudges of my eyeliner.

I wipe my tears dry with the sleeve of my mini, black lace dress.

"Hey, how are you holding up?" a soft voice spoke.

I spun my head around, it's Grayson in a black tuxedo. He looked so mournful, yet handsome.

"Hi," I spoke up. "You look beautiful," he compliments.

"Thanks, and you look handsome. How's the grieving process coming along?" I ask.

"It's coming along, I still can't believe he's gone. It's been 3 long days without him and countless days that'll continue," Grayson sighs.

"This is all my fault," I cry.  "Stop, he was most likely going to do it anyways. You weren't willing to leave your family and he has no family but me so it wasn't that hard of a decision," Grayson tells me immediately.

"Julie and you are both welcome to sit in the front row with Alison and I," he offers.

"Of course," I smile.

"Um, I also wanted to ask you if you'd like to get some coffee together sometime?" He asks.

"Aren't you and Alison still-"

"We ended things after Ethan's death. Don't worry it was mutual and we're still friends. You don't have to," Grayson suggests.

I hesitate but I give in when he awkwardly runs his fingers though his hair, waiting for my answer.

"I'll think about it, but it sounds like fun," I smile.

"Look Nicole, I don't know if you remember but you weren't just seeing Ethan and I on your window sill. I shouldn't have messed with you knowing you had a disorder. It wasn't cool and-"

I stop him from talking by pushing my finger to his lips.

"Don't even worry about that, I'm free this Saturday," I blush.

"Cool, I'll see you there," his new, leather dress shoes squeaked as he walked away.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you the reason he did this to himself?" A voice snarled.

I look up to see a very stubbly bearded man with red, furious eyes in a tuxedo that may have only fit him 2 Thanksgivings ago or so.

The crowd was appalled by the unwelcomed guest that smelled of alcohol.

"Richard? What are you doing here?" Grayson yelled.

"My parole officer said I could see Evan for the day," his words slurred.

"You mean Ethan?" Grayson scoffed.

"That's what I said, smartass!" He spat.

"Will someone get him out of here?" Grayson groaned.

"I'll do it," A voice volunteered, it was Alex.

"Alex? What are you doing here? You better not be here to stir trouble because I'll finish Ethan's business for him!" Grayson yelled.

"I'm just here to see my best friend," a tear rolled down his cheek. " I also wanted to apologize to Nicole and maybe start over with Julie," he explained.

"Look Nicole, I'm really sorry for that car stunt and that drug stunt I did. It was uncool of me and I shouldn't have done it," Alex apologized.

"I forgive you," I nod.

He looks over at Julie, "Just one coffee?"

She rolls her eyes, "I forgive you too but we're holding off on the sex." "I'm okay with that," he says.

"I'm gonna make sure Richie finds the exit, excuse me," he runs out with Richard, tugging away at his collar.

The priest cleared his throat to finally get his attention to him.

Everyone finds their seats and I sit down next to Grayson, Julie and Alison.

~~

The service ends and everyone pays their respects to Ethan and then make the exit.

"Hang in there, bro. We're gonna miss you," Grayson calls over at the closed casket.

"Hey, our graduation is coming next week, do you want to come see us?" I ask.

"Yeah, sure," Grayson and Alex nod.

"How about we all try to get along and let's all stay friends for Ethan?" I ask.

We all glance at one another and we all chant,

"For Ethan."

~~~~~

Wow, just the epilogue is left!

Thank you all for supporting this book 😭

~R ❤️