Chapter 2

Gunner blows on his gloved hands in attempt to bring feeling back to them. His toes, and hands have lost feeling and his legs feel as though they are stuffed with Jello rather than bones and muscles. A sign comes into view, but with his blurred vision and the snow floating by he is unable to read the words carved into it. His legs worn out and his face frozen to the core he wilts onto the snow covered ground leaning up against the sign.

Nothing seems to stir as he rubs his hands together. The animals are smarter than you! They have enough sense to stay warm. The wind howls, but once again his vision blurs preventing him from seeing the snow swirling around him. He nods off despite his efforts to stay awake and start back toward town. The snow begins to cover him like a thin blanket. His mind flashes back two years.

"Just a minute and I will get them," She says a glimmer of excitement shining in her eyes.

He smiles and nods anticipating what the leggings will look like. In a minute she comes back into the room holding a pair of leggings covered in plastic. She smiles and drops the white plastic to the floor. The red and white hair flow in great unison over the two legs and the yokes have incredible detail. The bull and rider figure is in such detail he has to look twice to be sure that it isn't real, "You're kidding right?"

Her smile drops, "You- you don't like them?"

"No, no they are amazing! How did you manage to make it so detailed?"

Her smile returns, "It took me a couple times to get it, but I finally got it to come out right."

The memory fades and his mind switches to the first encounter with her brother.

"Gunner Pate right?"

"Yeah, Colton Beck?"

The guy nods. "Yeah, what are your plans with my sister?"

"I'm just ordering a pair of leggings." He hold his hands up in defense.

A light brown haired woman walks up to Colton and laces her fingers through his. "Calm down, Babe," she says her voice low.

"Don't hurt her," he states sternly before walking away.

Gunner shakes his head and turns back to the arena.
***

Caisson scratches behind Jo's left ear after taking the bridle off of him. He bobs his head with the motion until she stops, then he walks off to the heated water trough in the barn. She puts her bridle and saddle up before heading to the house escaping the snow that threatens to lay on thick.

In the cozy house Caisson puts on a pot of coffee on and heads towards her work room. She pulls out one of her many plastic patterns and lays it over the dark brown leather. Taking a red inked pen she traces the plastic edge onto the leather. Just as she finishes the weather app on her phone dings with a special weather statement.

A special weather statement has been issued for Swallow's Haven Montana and sounding areas. Snow will turn heavy and wind will pickup. The wind chill will be negative thirty-eight. Keep inside and be sure all pets and animals are in barn and safe.

She sighs and grabs her heavy coat form the peg. Pulling it on after dawning her overalls she trudges out the door and to the barn. Her gaze scans all the horses and the Jersey milk cow. When she is satisfied she peeks out the barn door and her thoughts start to wander back to the lump beside her sign. Before her mind drifts all the way into thought she says a prayer for those traveling in this storm. "Thank you Lord Jesus for all that you have done for me. I pray that you will keep those that are traveling safe and give them comfort and peace, Your peace that is ever lasting and beyond all understanding of men. In Jesus name, amen."

A shove to her shoulder causes her to turn around and smile. She rubs Jo's forehead just under his forelock or bangs as she likes to call it. He shakes his head and sticks it out the small gap between the door and the frame. She smiles at her horse and nods. "Alright Jo, we'll go."

When the impatient horse is saddled she catches the stirrup with her left foot and slides her right leg over. The clip clop of hooves against the cement floor of the barn gets lost as they hit the snow covered earth. Caisson watches as Jo and her own breath come out like smoke from the chimney. A shiver runs down her back and she wiggles her fingers around in her gloves.

Finally she spots the wooden sign through all the snow that continues to fall as rapidly as ever. She slides her feet form the stirrups and jumps the ground. Still holding the rein in her hand she takes the stiff broom she had packed on her saddle and begins to sweep the snow away. Last winter she had learned not to use a shovel as she had found the lump to be a puppy.

As she continues to brush the snow away her mind drifts to the first time she had experienced the snow of Montana winters.

Caisson opens the door and her young playful husky bounds out into the white fluff as if it is his life's joy- and it is. She giggles as he jumps around then roots tunnels with his pink nose. "You sure are a silly dog, Yorky." His ears perk up and he barrels towards her his tongue hanging out as if to say 'You need to join the fun too!' He throws his paws on her shoulders knocking her back into the snow. Then he begins to lick her face with his slobbery pink tongue.

"Yorky! Buddy, that's enough," she giggles pushing him off. He cocks his head to the side and watches her get up before bounding off to root in the snow and run around the trees that sit in the front yard. The puppy then scrapes up a stick and runs back to Caisson. Yorky drops it at her feet and then looks off beyond the grey cement sidewalk. Caisson laughs, chunks the stick as far as it will go and watches as the fluff ball scampers after it with delight.

After playing fetch for a while Caisson calls Yorky into the mud room where she wipes the snow from the black and white body.

A slight movement under her broom causes Caisson to slip from the memory and back to reality. She begins to brush faster until she notices a light blue color.

A/N
This chapter is dedicated to Cowgirl1515 Thanks for the support and writing such great books!

What did you think?

How's the book so far?

Thanks a ton for reading!