Epilogue

Alex stood at the podium being expected to speak at the funeral of Cassandra Manning-Karev. He looked down at his now dead wife and felt pain, she looked beautiful like she always did in the dark mahogany casket. He looked out at the audience and saw tears in the eyes of nearly everyone in attendance. She had only lasted five days after their wedding, she was laying in bed next to Alex and she looked over at him apologizing over and over again that they met each other so close to her death. 

"I've only known Cassandra for nearly four months. I told her I'd help her finish the last ten items on her bucket list. She made me promise not to fall in love with her. I broke that promise. I fell in love with her two weeks after meeting her, it was easy to do. She will leave a lasting impression in everyones hearts. She was a beautiful person inside and out. I don't regret a thing, I don't regret marrying her though I was asked if I would. I don't regret getting to know her and I don't regret falling in love with her. I regret not meeting her sooner. I regret that I couldn't get her to fight just a little longer. I think she knew I was going to fall in love with her, she had to have known or she wouldn't have agreed to have me help her with this list. She was an amazing person and she deserved to live. But life is cruel and God is a dick." 

Alex watched as her casket was lowered into the ground and he whispered one last goodbye to Cassandra Manning before going over to Mason. The two men hugged.

"When do you leave?" Alex asked referring to him leaving for Harvard.

"Three days. There is something at the house I need to give you before I leave."

"What is it?"

"A dvd Cassandra left. She also left her entire inheritance to you asked if you'd donate it to the hospital."

"I can do that." Mason and Alex walked towards their cars, Alex following behind Mason to get to the house. They walked inside the house and Mason walked towards the table that sat in the foyer. He handed a dvd to Alex and they sat in the living room.

"You want to watch it alone?"

"No you can stay." Alex said. He kneeled down onto the floor and put the dvd in. He sat down on the couch and waited for the dvd to play. When it finally switched on it was a video of Cassandra in the hospital.

"Is it recording, Mer?" 

"Yeah it's recording, Cass."

"Alex! If you are watching this Mason followed my instructions and gave it to you when I died. Today it is the day before Thanksgiving. You just left my room and tomorrow you are taking me to Meredith's to get tatted up. That sounds weird coming from me, but oh well. Anyways I want you to know that I know that you love me.  I knew you were going to fall in love with me, I felt it. I felt the moment you agreed to help me. I also know that in my death you are now  a widow, and I am sorry. I never expected you to agree to help me complete all the things on my list. But I know you probably did, you are a good person Alex. Please as one last favor to me, even though we both know you did a lot for me since us first meeting. Don't close yourself back off. Let yourself be loved. You are so great, let others see that. Also I'm leaving you all my money, please donate it to the hospital. Don't let me parents talk you into doing something else with the money. I love you so much Alex. Thank you for making however long we got to spend together the best of my life. Also Mason, kick ass as a lawyer and have beautiful babies with someone. I love you both so much. You two are my favorite people in the universe. I love you both. Cass out." Cassandra smiled and looked away from the camera, "turn it off Mer."

"Right! Sorry!" the camera shut off and Alex hadn't realized he had been crying.

"Your sister was one hell of a girl."

"You're telling me. She really did love you, Alex. She had never been with anyone. She loved you."

"I loved her too. Hell, I still love her and I feel like I will always love her." Alex stood, the two men hugged again briefly before Alex left. Things were going to be different now, he was no longer going to be seeing Cassandra everyday and that was going to be hard to move past. He sat in his car in the driveway of the Manning house for hours until he finally drove away, looking as the house grew smaller in his rearview mirror, "goodbye, Cass." 

The End.