Understanding

New Chapter

~~

It took Ani a few minuets to finish, but once she did she let out a sigh and relaxed into the couch. Even after everything that had happened she felt safe with Jake. He was her Guardian; she would always be safe with him no matter what.

Jake suddenly stood up. She watched him debate with himself for a moment, then he sighed. "You can't go back."

Her first thought was she couldn't go back to David, but that was given. He was a Demon, Jake would rather die than let them have her. "What do you mean?" She asked. Who else did she have to go back to?

Jake wouldn't look at her. "Home. You can't go back home." He sighed again. "You're going to stay here for a few days, then we're going to..." he forced the words out. "Move you." He looked physically sick.

Ani saw red however. Move her? Is that what he called it? Suddenly she wanted David; at least she would get to live with him. She stood. "Move me? You mean kill me. I don't want to start all over again. Just leave me here. No, better yet, send me back to David."

She saw his hands curl into fists and he growled slightly as he shook his head. "You do not understand Ani." An accent slipped through, Ani couldn't place it. She knew she should know it, but that part of her mind was still dark.

Ani suddenly snapped. "No I do understand. Very well. I am Lucifer's daughter and you kidnapped me. I don't think you understand." The small voice in her head yelled at her to stop but she continued. She was to upset to listen to the voice that seemed to know things she didn’t. "Every time you reincarnate me I have to go through this all over again. It hurts; it burns and rips its way through me. You can't know my pain."

Jake turned and glared at her, his eyes red and his voice a low hiss. "I know a lot more then you think." His accent was thicker.

Ani laughed, continuing to ignore that small voice in the back of her mind. "Right, you’re my guardian. How could I forget? You know everything. You just show up in my life, completely destroy it, then kill me so we can do it all over again."

A flash of rage went through his eyes. "You selfish bitch. You don't know the half of it." He turned and headed for the door.

As he ripped open the door he almost ran into someone about to knock. "Jacob what is wrong?" They asked.

Jake stormed past him. "That girl is intolerable. You deal with her. We would have had less trouble leaving her there."

The other guy looked at Ani as Jake disappeared down the hall. He had short red hair with very light blue eyes. He wore jeans with a white shirt. "What was that all about..." his head tilted to the side slightly. "Anibeth?"

Ani glared at him, not in the mood to deal with him or the questions that came with him knowing her name. "Do I know you?"

The man looked confused for a moment then hit his forehead. "Darn I keep forgetting you don't remember anything. I've only been an outcast for six of your life times now." He laughed at himself.

Ani continued to stare at him, all of her anger leaking out of her. For some reason he just seemed to radiate happiness.

Suddenly he hit his head again. "I am such a scatter brain. My name is Stephen, Angel of the Lord." He chuckled. "Well, I used to be."

Ani smiled, she found it really hard not to be happy around him.

Stephen walked over to the couch and sat down with a plop. "Which brings us back to my question. What happened?"

Ani sighed and sat next to him. "Jake and I got in a fight. He doesn't understand what I go through with all of this." She found it really easy to talk to him, like she could trust him with anything and he could make it better.

Stephen shook his head slightly. "He risks everything for you. He puts himself through so much pain to keep you safe. He knows everything about you. Did you know that every time you get hurt or feel pain he goes through it with you? I heard the first time he reincarnated you the pain was so much he was in a coma for three weeks." he chuckled. "His entire life revolves around you."

Ani suddenly felt empty. She had yelled at Jake and gotten in a huge fight with him because she didn't understand. She was wrong. "I have to speak with Jake. Right now." she stood.

He stood with her. "Jake said you aren't allowed to leave this room." he raced her to the door and blocked it. "You stay here and I'll go get him." he slipped through the door.

Ani narrowed her eyes but shook her head and went back to the couch. She sat with a huff. Why wasn't she allowed to leave? Ani sat for quite awhile before she heard the door open. She stood as they walked in.

Stephen walked in first. "Here he is. Our leader, our vampire, your Guar-" Jake interrupted him. "Shut up Stephen." Stephen smiled and quieted down.

Jake walked over to her. "You wished to speak with me?" his voice was cold and empty, though his accent was gone.

Ani looked at her feet and took a deep breath. "I wanted to apologize for the way I acted. I'm the one who didn't understand."

Jake turned to Stephen. "You told her?" a spark of anger in his voice. His eyes flashed red for a moment before turning back to their normal green.

Stephen smiled and shifter his weight slightly. "Well...She was so angry, and you were upset. I just wanted to help."

Jake was about to speak but Ani interrupted. "You did help." she said quickly. Jake rolled his eyes but said nothing.

Stephen headed for the door. "You two have a lot to talk about. So I'll just leave you be." he opened the door and quickly slipped through it, leaving them alone.

Jake walked over to the couch and sat on the far side. Ani sat on the other side and looked at him. "Do you really go through all that pain?" she wanted to know the answers to her questions. But she didn’t want to push him to far.

She barely heard his sigh. "Yes."

Ani dared to inch closer to him, he didn't move away. "I dream about you." she whispered. "Every night."

His eyes flickered over to her before looking back at the blank TV screen. "Is that so?" he asked her. True surprise in his voice.

Ani nodded and moved even closer to him. "Yes. It's the same dream every night. You save me from something dark, but when I try to touch you, you run. But at the end of the dream, right as they are about to get me, you come to me. You wrap your arms around me and kiss me." she saw him glance at her. "The pain wakes me up. I feel like I'm on fire an-"

Jake cut her off. "I know how you feel. I hate that you must feel that pain, but there is nothing I can do." His voice had an underlining of pain.

Ani moved closer, she was right next to him now. "Why does it hurt?" she whispered. She wanted to know.

Jake looked at her without turning his head. "It has to hurt to reincarnate you. Though it used to hurt less. The Demons made it hurt more. Once they learned I could reincarnate you they became upset and cursed me. I can only reincarnate you through fire. Also I can't touch you or you'll be reincarnated."

Ani was almost touching him now. "You've touched me before." she could feel something bubbling inside her.

He shook his head. "I can touch you and only slightly burn you, but I can't touch you." suddenly he faced her and his face was inches from her own. "You have no idea how much I want to kiss you."

Ani could feel his warm breath on her face. "I think I might." He leaned in so close she was surprised their lips hadn't touched yet.

She closed her eyes and started to close the distance.