Learning the Truth

• Dedicated to Fabricanna Davenport

New Chapter

~~

Ani stood in a long dark hallway; she could dimly see doors or other halls branching off of it. Something about the hall scared her, but she took a step forward. The need to see what was down the hall growing, along with her fear of it.

David opened a door next to her and pushed her inside suddenly. He gave her a tight smile. "Don't want to stay out there for to long."

Ani glared at him for a moment, then looked around the room she was now in. It was small, though bigger then the room she had been trapped in. A small dinning table sat in the middle of the room with four chairs around it. Jason sat in the chair facing the door, Brice sat on his left.

Ani's eyes narrowed, of course they would be here. She wouldn't be surprised if the whole damn football team was here, they were all under David's thumb.

Ani watched as Brice and Jason continued to sit at the table eating, they hadn't noticed her and David yet. She looked at what they were eating and suddenly felt sick. They were eating raw steak. Could a person even eat raw steak and survive? Her stomach lurched as she watched the blood drip from the pieces they had cut up.

David grinned at his friends. "Hey guys, look who decided to finally leave her room." He walked over to the table as the guys looked at her. Still smiling he pulled out the chair next to Jason. "Come, sit. Please."

Ani hesitated. Did she really want to sit with these people? No. Did she really have a choice? Probably not. Taking a deep breath she strode over to the table and sat in the chair David still held out for her. She avoided looking at their food, not wanting to throw up.

Jason growled slightly. "Why the hell did you bring her here?"

David glared at him as he sat across from him. "She said she was hungry. We have to feed her and this is where we eat. Would you rather I leave her locked in that room and you explain to Grell why she's terrified of us?"

Grell? Who the hell was Grell? Ani thought, watching them glare at each other. He sounded important, he sounded like some one in charge. Had he ordered them to kidnap her, or just to watch her? She had so many questions.

Jason interrupted her thinking. "Fine, just get it over with. Feed her then send her back to her room." He shoved a piece of steak in his mouth and Ani felt her stomach lurch.

Ani sighed. "I thought you said you would explain everything. If were just here to eat and fight then send me back to that god awful room."

Both Brice and Jason suddenly became very interested in their food and a shadow passed over David's face. Suddenly he smiled. "We will talk, though I said over lunch and we're not eating yet. So what would you like to eat?"

Ani watched him for a moment. Could she trust him? A very large part of her said she was crazy for even thinking she could. Then a very, very small part whispered for her to listen and do as he said. It whispered about secrets she could learn. "I would like a grilled cheese sandwich." She paused. "Please." She added as an after thought. She didn’t want to upset him.

David nodded and glanced at the guys, they were watching them now. With a sigh he raised his hand in the air. "Alright." He snapped his fingers.

For a moment nothing happed and Ani wondered if this was all some sick joke. Then the room suddenly got much colder and the air seemed to vibrate. Ani felt a small painful twist in her gut and bit her lip to stop a whimper. The room got darker and Ani could feel the shadows in the room moving, suddenly very frightened she closed her eyes and clenched her fists.